1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition pieces in multiple state shows....opinions

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wcwsscott, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Does it annoy you to see the same piece entered in multiple state shows? I honestly dont care but What is the point? Get as many ribbons as you can while you can? A client in California doesn't care about a taxidermist choice ribbon in Nevada? He only cares if your work is good enough to go in his home. Perhaps it's to gain recognition from taxidermists in other areas? Draw business from other areas? I've personally seen work done by taxidermists with tons of ribbons do crap commercial work, only to spend a ton of time on show pieces. Then again I've seen guys who don't bother competing because they are too busy doing outstanding commercial work. Maybe a lot of ribbons gives a guy an excuse to charge more than an average or above average artist? I love animal artistry and love seeing great mounts, but do you guys think it's right to compete in a state you don't reside in unless its a national show or world show? Or for those Of you who do compete in multiple states, why. Does a piece of ruffled fabric and a picture on taxi.net out way the travel expenses? Does it really generate enough business from out of state? This is just an interest I've had for awhile, thought I'd finally throw it out there....

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Sometimes it's a matter of getting as many critiques as possible......especially when you have as much time into a competition mount as many taxidermists do. AND a winning mount in one competition....from one judge....doesn't guarantee the same results in the next competition.

3. I see absolutely no problem with it. Going back to your subject line "competition pieces in multiple state shows….opinions" that is exactly what they are "Competitions". If you built a great drag car, a great MX bike, dirt track car, you wouldn't only compete once with it after putting all that time and money into to it. I see no difference in this. To each their own, some are more competitive than others. The ones that are want to see how they stack up against as many people as they can. I have taken one piece to five different shows. I wanted the opinion of as many judges as possible. I got a lot of different input from all those judges. Once I felt I had found everything that was wrong with it and could not fix those problems I retired it and moved on. Now don't get me wrong I want to learn and get better, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I wanted to win. I'm not a full time taxidermist so I don't do it to promote my business. There is no doubt that even my research, study and preparation that I put into each of my mounts makes me a better taxidermist as well as what I take in from the judges critiques and what I learn at the seminars and from friends I have made at the shows. I can use all of this info and make my customer mounts better as well. This leads me to another point of going to multiple shows, spending time with the friends you have made. If I'm going I might as well bring something along and have it critiqued. There are many of us that only have time to do one comp piece a year, so I'm bringing the one I already used. I really can't see why anyone would care if you took a mount to multiple shows. You are really competing against a score sheet and yourself unless you are going for the top awards. In my opinion if I win a major award I want to win against the best. I don't want to win because no one was in my class. I want as many pieces at a competition as possible. One, because it also helps an organization make money which helps them stay alive. Two, it inspires me to see all the work that is there.

4. catman

catman Active Member

I have found that I have enough things to worry about with my own life. If it is legal and no one is being harmed, it's best to let it go. Remember being hurt and being harmed are not the same thing. If some big shot from out of state rolls in and gobbles up all your states hardware, well that might hurt. You have to pick your battles and I figure that this is one you should leave alone.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No kidding! LOL

6. Just a Ego problem in my opinion ! Ones that say win worlds and then hit the state shows!

7. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I think it depends on the motivation behind the competitor's motives. If it is just an ego thing where he just wants to accumulate hardware, as someone above said, then I don't really like that. If he is really looking for multiple critiques to improve his work or maybe get ready for bigger shows, then I don't have a problem with it.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Would I retire a World Champion piece? Yes. Anything else is fair game. Learn where you can, compete to win, and above all have fun.

9. Amen Tim!

10. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I don't see a problem with it. You put the time, effort, and money into a competition piece. Why not take it wherever you want and compete against it? Once you reach a certain level, you really are competing against the others in the class more than a score sheet. When I compete, I don't usually worry about the score of the mount as much as I worry about how it stacked up against the other competitors' pieces. By going to other states, you get to see how your piece compares to others' work...not just the same old guys you compete with in your state year after year. This makes you better in the long run. Sure you could stick to your state and then any regional/national/world shows, but I just don't see why. I like it when folks from other states come to NC shows.

11. I'm one of the guys who is too busy to compete. I didn't say it was bad at all either. I was just wondering what each persons motive was. I do understand the learning curve is different because of different judges. I also understand the comradery involved. I see it as being the best in your home state would be very important because word of mouth generates huge business. Also, each judge Has their own opinion on what should be "correct" . Taking a piece to multiple judges for critiques is not teaching you very much at all. One judge tells you the inner ear color is great another would like it a little more fleshy or a hair darker. Unless they have the exact animal alive on a leash to compare your mount to, they base their scores on reference and experience, same as the artist who mounted the piece. To each their own I guess. If you can afford to travel, sure I see no problems with it. Also, It's awesome to generate money for these organizations and communities.

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Many of these competitors in different states are friends and they compete against each other in there varying states more to bring it home to their state & make their state associations and it's members PROUD! Kinda like Oklahoma or Alabama playing a Texas football team. For these competitors to stay in their home state would be boring to say the least . I know when Jerry, Clay , Shane & James go to the Oklahoma show they are not there alone in spirit, they have an entire state organization membership rooting for them.

Nothing wrong in having pride & ambition & to question it is kind of awkward.

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I currently have started working on next years World Show piece. I plan to compete with it as many times as I can BEFORE the next World Show. Once the worlds are over, win lose or draw it's on to the next show mount creation. It's all a build up to the Nationals and the World Series. Some you win, some you lose. But playing the game is where all the fun is. Never have I had a customer want to pay the price for what a competition mount would cost. So, we don't compete for our customers. We compete for OURSELVES. Is that ego driven? You damn right it is, and it's a hell of a lot of fun too. If you don't challenge yourself somewhere along the way in life, you must live a very boring life.

You can get to where your going in a pinto, but how cool is it to get there in a 57 drop top Cadillac that you custom built yourself that everyone else thinks is cool too? And if you built that 57 Cadillac, you damn right your gonna want to show it off any time you get the chance..

14. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I am starting to like this guy!!!!!!!

15. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Dont see a problem with it........in addition to the Pros mentioned, it helps out the Associations and other businesses (competitors spend money on show fees, entry fees, purchases from the Suppliers there possibly, Hotel fees, gas money, beer tabs and the list goes on...lol) and that's just one person.
    It also gives the spectators another mount to look at and enjoy. If it's a great piece, the word might get out that the show it's in has some fantastic mounts to be seen, that in turn brings in spectators that spend money at the show and possibly get some education into the Taxidermy World spreading more positive support for the Industry. No downside to a guy/gal entering their mount in other shows. I say go for it.........

16. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Nailed it!!
    I also do not have time to compete, but I still do and love it.

17. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's nice to be able to take a trip to another state, visit with some of your peers, meet some people you've only heard about, maybe win an award or two, and then legitimately write off all of the expenses for doing it.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Who is fooling who...this IS about EGO...and I personally see nothing wrong with it! Ego used the right way is a powerful drive to what you wish to achieve. You cannot determine why a competitor does what he does, nor should you. Some are accumulating points. Others are getting critiques like Vince Spellane said. Sometimes the World Show comes before another show the competitor wishes to attend. Hey, sometimes he lives closer to some state shows that arent as strong as some of the bigger state events. So be it.

If this DOES bother anyone, there IS a simple solution, besides what catman already suggested...

Beat the guy. Mount a better mount. Period.

19. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Bill, I agree with what your saying but I just left the MO show where the competitor told me his one piece has been in 7 shows all getting the same ribbon. Definitely EGO.

20. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

And Rich,..........

**his one piece has been in 7 shows all getting the same ribbon**

And do you think that is wrong?

:)

Kerby...