1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long should a properly done bird mount last?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Aug 3, 2014.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm still very new to taxidermy. In the past couple months I have delivered waterfowl mounts to a couple clients homes. There were other waterfowl mounts there, done by other taxidermists. Some were as old as 20 years and some as new as 5 years. None of them were pretty. I learned from the good folks here to NEVER bash another's work so when asked I said they looked great. I'm only at the 6 month mark on mounting birds, so I have nothing to look at of my own to compare pics to of when I mounted it vs 5+ years later.

My question is, how long should one last? Lets say its a mount done by today's methods and then kept in a climate controlled environment, out of the sunlight.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll let you know when I find out, I have birds mounted 20 years ago by someone else and other than being dusty they look good.

3. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

The oldest mount is a rhinoceros mounted in Italy in the 1600's...

4. I just sold birds I mounted 30 years ago.They were in my mom's basement.Like you said if you keep them clean and out of the sunlight they will still look great!

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I have a hen mallard hanging that's 45 years old and a woodie my father did that is over 50 years old....kept clean and repaired when needed

6. BrookeSFD16

So it was the taxidermist. ..not the birds deteriorating. Gotcha. That makes me feel lots better about the birds I'm mounting now.

Brooke

7. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Brooke i have birds of prey that are over 100 years old,to me they look good for their age. I don't dare touch them though ,hopefully i can pass them down to family one day :)

8. I have several I mounted in 1978 - 1980 and I they still look good

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I have ...........

I have mounts from 40 years ago at my mom's house and they are in the same condition as when I mounted them.....

They may suck from my craftsmanship but they have not deteriorated because of time.

:)

Kerby...

10. BrookeSFD16

I was tempted to take pics of some of the ones I have seen. I'm not a good liar and wasn't sure I could pull off the "just gathering reference" line. I'm really grateful for all you're replies.

May be some one should start an "oldest mount thread". Would really help us beginners realize that if we do proper work it will last well after we are gone.

Brooke

11. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

i have a 60 year old pheasant my great uncle mounted, probably not the 'right way' either. it has some damage from being in a garage half of its life but its perfectly fine otherwise

12. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

My first ...........

My first mount ever in 1974.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

13. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

This would be a pretty interesting thread to see some of you taxi veterans first mounts and some of the oldest mounts you have.