1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tumbling small birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by luciengwin4, Aug 6, 2014.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Can you tumble small birds without them coming apart in the tumbler? I have a snipe, woodcock, and quail to do and was wondering if they could be tumbled with no trouble. I guess I should also say that my tumbler is an old dryer that just turns with no heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

That is exactly how I have used to tumbled my birds. I did notice that they got tore up a bit so I quit tumbling all together; I haven't in two years. I just dab them in a towel and blow dry them after degreasing. It doesn't take as long as you think. Actually in the 20 minutes that you tumble a bird and then the time spent blowing all of the grit out of it you would have had it dried to the same degree using a blower. I think I bought mine at Home Depot for $60 and it works just as good or better than the $200 ones sold in the catalogs. There was another post where a guy uses a large zip lock bag with the mix and skin in it and just shakes it up and he said it seemed to work decent as well. Try both maybe and see what you think. If I ever get really busy and have a consistent number of birds being brought in I may someday spend the money on a good tumbler. But hell here in the Iowa the spring flooding and bobcat population kills off our pheasants, and then we go into a late summer drought and there are minimal places to hunt waterfowl. So for me I can't justify buying a tumbler at this point.

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

The small birds dry nicely using a plastic tub with a lid and some potato starch. You can also just use cob or saw dust, the potato starch is easy on the feathers.

4. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I use paper towels to blot as much moisture up, blow them with a hair drier with a "cool" setting to the point that the feathers are all separated from each other, then I put them in a glass jar with borax and shake them until nice and fluffy.

5. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    thanks for the help everyone