1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Causes This With My Fleshing Machine?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by trophylodge, Aug 8, 2014.

1. trophylodge

trophylodge Member

At times it is worse than others after I tune the blade, sometimes it doesn't happen, but overall it seems to be getting worse.

[​IMG]

2. Nicked blade.

3. striker12

striker12 Member

Looks like time to replace the bearings. Worked for me i had a brand new blade and it still done it. Guessing a Dakota machine??

4. ysb123

ysb123 Member

looks like bearings, OR SHAFT, check the up and down movement on the blade. there should be none! the blade may or may not wobble, so with it off check the movement. is it a Dakota pro.

5. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Looks like your blade is out of tune, if it still has a good lip on the blade ,you can take knife honing stone (whet rock ) while the wheel is turning and carefully hone the top edge of the blade this will take out any high spots in the blade lip and will give you a smooth cut... Spray a shot of wd40 on the blade and honeing stone before you true up the edge

6. That will not make any difference on the mount. Slowly by hand turn the blade and look for a nick. If the machine is old and used it could be bearings. If its a fairly new machine I doubt the bearings.

7. trophylodge

trophylodge Member

This is an old machine.
    I don't even remember what kind, it's been so long ago since I got it; about 12 years or so.
    I will try all of the above. Thanks for all the input.

One thing I did notice today:
    I kept my tuning tool on it longer than usual and it seemed to smooth out more.
    Like, instead of holding for a 5 count, I'd keep it on for a 12 count under the lip before hitting the top.
    I'd get all the way to the end of the cape on one run before it started again.
    Tune anther 12 count and it would be pretty smooth until I got to the end again.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It could be as simple as a piece of shaving stuck to the pulley on your motor or machine. Unplug the machine, and carefully examine both pulleys. I have a Dakota 5, and I keep a piece of #6 wire next to it, which I can feed down into the belt guard and loosen anything stuck to the pulley on the motor. I place the wire against the pulley and slowly rotate the blade by hand til the culprit is dislodged. Anything that throws your machine off balance will cause blade chatter, and create the ripples you have pictured.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

My pulleys get crammed full of shavings. Makes the thing vibrate something awful.

10. Thanks to this post, I just fixed my problem! My Dakota was doing the same thing shown in Trophylodes' photo. I had an OLD piece of shaved hide wrapped and dried around the lower pulley. It took a while to get it off, but now it runs like the day I got it. No vibration. I thought it was the bearings going out. Thanks everyone. My problem's solved!

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I remove the motor and run it while holding a screwdriver on edge to clean out the dried gunk in the pully. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Tighten the belt. yes it is that simple.