1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

allergies to mtn lions?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rogers Taxidermy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. I have heard of a few taxidermists being allergic to deer and such; but does anyone else have allergic reactions to cats specifically to mountain lions? I have never had a problem with cats until about 2 yrs ago. I get an itchy rash on my arms and face and my face swells. I do everything I can when I'm working on them, wearing gloves and long sleeves but it still affects me even after they are tanned. I think I'm to the point where I'm not going to take in anymore. Does this happen to anyone else?

Katie Rogers

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I used to get that way with bobcats, it since has passed. Also with coons before that, puffy eyes etc. That too has gone away. Now Im just allergic to backlog, and do my best to make that go away too...lol.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Bill I know you're not allergic to lobsters...lol ;D

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Gene, I believe I could eat lobsters even with a rash, if it came down to that!

5. Katie maybe take an allergy pill before you work on one

6. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Katie,, I have same problem you do for last 35 years - even after they are tanned. Only work around is allergy pills before we work on them and one later on as well. Basically any cats causes this reaction for me.

7. Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this! I tried taking allergy pills but it doesn't seem to do anything.

8. Try a different pill. Even w/ my seasonal allergies I have to switch it up every year. This year I had to use zyrtec D last year it was Claritin ... :-\ IDK but it'd be worth a try.