1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

SALTWATER FISH FOR SKIN MOUNTS- CAN YOU MOUNT HADDOCK, POLLACK?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by NICKYG, Aug 9, 2014.

1. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Has anybody had much experience in mounting Haddock, pollack, cod? I have mounted plenty of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass, trout, etc but never one of these species... Can/ would you do a skin mount on one of these fish if they are trophies? Would you have to carve your own custom fish body? Lol. :D

2. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

I still and a lot here in Florida still skin mount Snook, Redfish and seatrout not sure on your fish though. Just try one and see?

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Now I do all saltwater fish as repros to eliminate the problems of scale loss and other problems. Can you do these fish as skin mounts...yes you can. The skins are veryyyyyy thin like a catfish skin, so you will have to make a completely B-U-M-P free body. I would cast the heads and the fins also. With that said....give it a shot. However if it is a trophy fish (record breaker) I would cast the fish and build the feeler barbels on the cod same as you would on a catfish. Good luck...JL

4. den007

den007 Active Member

As a younger man, I dated a few Pollacks but never mounted any.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

LMAO den...Last year I was on here getting advice for the IL state bowfishing record Big Head Carp skin mount and the advice was the same since I couldn't locate fins and a head. Mold the head and fins and carve the body. Of course I was clueless on molding and never carved anything before but I gave it a shot and it turned out alright. I used a large whitetail form to carve the body out of. Alot of grease though. I think I soaked it in just about every degreaser I could, laquer thinner last, and mounted it up. Didn't grease leach and the customer loved it. Take your time with it and it will come together just fine.