1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished white tail, what do you think.....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BUCKGRUNT, Jun 22, 2007.

1. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

there are nicer way of telling people fault's on there work.. and give them some encouragement there are to many no all self idolising arsehole's on here :'(

2. BUCKGRUNT

BUCKGRUNT Are you talkin to me?

Iowa
    Couldnt have said it better myself

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Come on T, lets be real here. It isn't crying. You are right, we can say whatever. Are you crying every time you don't agree? No. If I got on here and answered all your posts with a one line smartass answer that had no constructive purpose, would you like it? 4000FPS's comment was rude, period. And that is not necessary or called for. And since I can say whatever the hell I want.....now I have!

4. Geno

Geno New Member

Buckgrunt,it takes fortitude to ask for a critique.Congrats we all have to start somewere.Keep on keeping on.Take some advice and pass on others you'll find your own way.Attend some seminars if you really want to meet some ego's that far outweigh their work.However you'll also meet some great folks who know how to constructively judge and make you feel like a seasoned pro_Once had a judge who tore me up on some fish,but left me believing I'd taken top honors.Keep on keeping on.

5. swampfox

swampfox New Member

If you don't have any, get you some good reference pics of each area of the deer, and use them. You will have to work at it to get what you are looking at in the photos. Also, some forms are more user friendly than others, and require less work to get what you are looking for. Balance. Take accurate measurements of where everything is located on the head before caping it out. Pay attention to the depth of the eyes, position of the upper & lower eyelids, eyelashes tilted down, shape of the nostrils, and how much front lip is showing, notice the muscle on and around the base of the ear, and the distance from the base of the ear to the antler base. Keep working at it. The more you do, the more comfortable you will become at what you are trying to simulate. Even accomplished taxidermists will be tweaking mounts just prior to a competition, still trying to acheive that "perfect" mount. Everyone has a first, just try to improve on each one. ;)

6. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

you gota love this place and all the talk that goes on here.
    And just my 2 cents worth even if the pics have been on here before which 4000fps has just proved maybe not all the people have looked at them. I can not add any more to the critique of this deer.
    But man gota love it here.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

And flip that horse shoe around!

8. BUCKGRUNT

BUCKGRUNT Are you talkin to me?

Iowa
    That damn horse shoe ..haha LOL.. Gotta love that!!!

And guys I am not trying to be an A** hole to any one here, but I want critiques, not the smart ass comments that do nothing but cut your legs out from underneath me, I look to this site because I thought I could get REAL help from REAL taxidermists.... If you want to stand on your pedestal and kill the hopes of every one who is trying to learn from you guys. I think it is sick....Critiques are great, thats what I am looking for, but for the few who did critique the deer THANK YOU, but I think alot of you need to get off the old high horse your riding on and stop thinking your better then every body else, and try to help the less fortunate!!!!!!

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Buckgrunt, post another deer, or critter, or whatever. With no changes made to that deer, other than finishing which can't really be seen in that pic, there really is nothing else we can tell you. I already told you what I thought was wrong and you confirmed my suspicions (tight form).
    When you post the same thing that many times it's almost like you don't want to hear what you heard, so if you post it again maybe you'll get a different response. That may not be your intentions, and I'm sure it's not, but it could be easliy mistaken for it. Each one will improve. Mount up another one, on a looser fitting form, and I bet you'll even see a difference. Post it and we'll be glad to give you another critique.

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I didn't see the deer had been posted so many times, or I would have understood the tone better, so I stand partially corrected! LOL

11. Mrwhttail

Mrwhttail THIS IS WHY I LOVE BEING A DAD!

the first thing to stand out was the ears and the eyes. The eyes don't look right. the skin looks set to high above, When the skin dries it will pull away as you probably already know, so try to keep enough of the lid over the eye and work it over the next couple of days as it dries and it won't give the deer the look of looking at at a on coming car.

12. This what I like to happen. When the customer takes his deer home from my shop and hangs it on the wall. I like it to make the rest of the deer look like crap. ( the ones he had before he came to me) Then you get the call asking if you can do anything with his other mounts. It is very important to give your customer the very best. Or your mount will be the one looking like crap when a better one comes in. That customer smilling might not know that his mount isnt perfect. But his buddies might be able to point out all the imperfections. Keep working hard on your mounts Buckgrunt, It will get better with every one. Use your reference pics and If you need any help from me, I'll be more than glad to help you. I am out of the country right now But will be returning in a couple 2 or 3 weeks. Just my 2 cents.

13. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Becky made a good point. Looks like the form was a little too big for the cape to start with. Measurements, and reference, along with attention to details.

14. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Doing work for customers before you are ready is the worst advertising you could possibly get. I have good customers still bitching about mounts they had done years ago by people trying to learn on their trophies. You could not possibly start out to ruin a business any better way. Sorry for the rant but this has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

15. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

:eek:

16. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    40 FPS you're still a D**KH**D. Damn near every comment that comes out of your big trap is negative or nasty. I've been biting my tongue for about the last week on all your trash talk. Everytime I see your avatar, I think well, here's another smartass remark. Get over yourself everyone else on here has.

17. Steves Taxidermy

Steves Taxidermy "Speak The Language"

This is whats wrong with the world today! People always putting down other people with insignificant insults. We are all human and were born to make mistakes! Lets try to help one another in this industry insteed of putting each other down...

18. allphasetaxidermy

allphasetaxidermy New Member

I use to try to get help and ask a few questions on here but this [email protected] is like the jerry springer show. You got a begginer on here trying to get started and you got 4000fps on here acting like hes the best the ever was and ever will be and then instead of talking about the deer for the beginner it gos to a big arguement. Thats all that gos on here is a bunch of [email protected] All of the smartasses that try to act like they are flawless need to keep there mouth shut and remember that all of us were beginners at one point and time and when i started we didnt have a forum to go and ask questions on and now that there is lets try to help them out instead of trying to see who can cut it down the worst. Tell them what they can do to improve not what kinda smile the customer has on his face or just plain be rude or nobody will want to show anytrhing on here. Thats my 2 cents worth.

19. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

If that is a first deer head then it's better than most first attempts I see people doing.
    If you have friends and people that understand your learning and will aceept the fact that you are using their deer to practice on at costs that's great.
    Know where you need to improve, and study what live deer look like.
    My work still improves with every mount and I've been doing it 35 years. I congratulate you on your first attempt, now pick it apart as if it's NOT yours and do better next time.

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Just my opinion for a beginner. People always say use live reference for your deer. Some of the live reference has done nothing but confuse the sh!t out of beginners. So many of the angles vary that it is hard for a beginner to understand the concept & apply what is in the reference pics. Personally I have found the reference pic's of Glen Conley & Joe Coombs the most helpful in my work. My advice to a beginner though would be to look at somebody like Dennis' deer & atleast get a good interpritation of the angles & sets. No it is not a LIVE reference, but it is one of the closest things to it & I feel it could help alot. Look at the deer pics he has here & get an idea of what you are looking at/for in your reference material. JMO Michael

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280123890893&rd=1&rd=1