1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coolest "budget" skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. btr

btr Member

So- what are the coolest relatively inexpensive skulls a collector can buy?

I will suggest a possum skull- they look quite different from most other critters...

2. btr

btr Member

Those are good- I was thinking of cleaned skulls, as I'm not getting into cleaning.

3. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

The commonly trapped furbearers are the cheapest species available if you're in the US. I do think opossum is the neatest though :)

In addition to the ones already mentioned: mink, raccoon, red & gray foxes, skunk, weasel, muskrat, mole, bobcat, squirrel, lot of different gophers, etc. Button bucks are pretty cool. Domestics like goat, sheep, pig.

4. Jakemish

Jakemish Member

Idaho
    Re: Coolest "budget" skulls?

I think javalina skull look cool and they are almost always cheap

Sent from my SM-T210R using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. btr

btr Member

I thought of snapping turtle...

Any of the "exotics" that are relatively inexpensive AND cool?

6. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

-Skunk: Quite interesting skull und not that expensive

-Beaver and Coypu

-Raccoon Dog (at least in Europe)

-Otter: possible to get legally for 60 Euros here

7. akvz

akvz New Member

I really like beaver skulls, personally- don't know if they're inexpensive or exotic enough for the topic, though. got one in a lot of other skulls and was surprised with how much I ended up liking it. it's like an upsized muskrat but it's thick and heavy enough to actually get a good look at. opossum would be my other favourite because they've got a lot of teeth and interest to the skull.

gar and other fish skulls are interesting, but not cheap unless you clean them yourself.

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

I found a really neat 9 banded armadillo skull complete with head shield for around $40 here (not sure where you're from and if you can get armadillos?) Most of the small domestics are fairly reasonable (fox, coyote, etc)

9. btr

btr Member

Oh, I'd love to have an armadillo skull- except they frequently carry LEPROSY!

I read about a study that found 20% of the armadillos they tested carried it... some people have contracted it from armadillos.

I won't touch anything to do with an armadillo. Too bad, as the skulls are neat looking.

10. MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA New Member

Yikes, budget skulls?

I thought I was selling my little eyelash gecko skull for too much ($30-$35) lol, maybe I should be charging more.

Planned on doing snakes, but they can be a pain. I would think shrew skulls... super small, but SUPER wicked looking based on teeth coloration tips (look like it has blood on it)

11. Big Sky

Big Sky Member

The cool factor is pretty high on marten skulls.

12. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

I would like to add Nutria to the list.
    I just did 2 and I really like the way they look.

13. Bullterriers, Bulldogs, Pugs, Persian cats look cool & weird, plus they're easy to get since those are pets :)

14. Those are usually over $100 dollars, because they are pets, lol. Brachycephalic breeds are usually expensive. o_O

But on that note, domestic dog skulls can be cheap and come in a wide range of shapes and sizes. You can have 12 skulls that are all dogs, all different. :)

15. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

Well over $100 for those types, I paid over $300 for the entire skeleton of a pug. Pets are not as easy to come by as you would think as most people can't fathom others wanting to do what we do to beloved Fluffy, which is fine but makes certain skulls difficult to come by. I am caring for a terminally ill boxer who has an amazing underbite and I would love to have her skull but she doesn't belong to me and her owners want her cremated when her time comes. Even the typical breeds (labs, etc) are close to $100 that I could see.

16. Pot bellied pigs are pretty cool. I got this guy for less than $50 including shipping the other day.[​IMG]

17. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

I love it!!

18. If the owners won't observe cremation and just wait for the ashes, make arrangement with vets to separate the head after the body arrives to crematorium.

19. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

Re: Coolest "budget" skulls?

Since I work in a crematory and also do work in a pet crematory, I can tell you this is a big moral no no. Pets to many are like family. I'd be appalled if the crematory operator kept the head of my pet.

Now if the crematory has a contract with the county to dispose of strays or what not, it would be perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

20. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

Ugh, I'd be absolutely murderous if someone tried to pull that with my dog. Please don't encourage vets to violate the trust that patients' owners have in them.

Even speaking just in terms of property, it's outright theft.