1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first fox

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by peedeedeer, Jun 22, 2007.

1. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork swampbuck32@yahoo.com

going to skin first fox this weekend.anybody know of a good video for full body mount. i used krowtan on a deer and a pig with good results.what is best way to get the tan in the tail.thanks for any help.

2. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

Ga
    Either spilt the tail , or run a cotton wick all the way to the end. You can also pour a little krowtan down the hole each time you turn the pelt just to be on the safe side. As for a video, Brian Houskeepers lifesize coyote video is a good canine video.

3. peedeedeer

thanks.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

SPLIT the tail

5. peedeedeer

thanks for the tanning help.1 more question.where to take proper measurements.i know eye to nose,girth,not sure about length.thanks again.

6. weazel

weazel New Member

Take the length from the tip of the nose all the way to the base of the tail.

7. jamredskins

jamredskins New Member

Always split the tail!

8. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I don't split the tails when I use Krowtann, because I hate sewing them. I run a wire down in the tail to poke a small hole in the end, then I take the wire out. Never leave the wire in or get it in the Krowtann. Then every time I turn the hides, I use a turkey injector syringe and force Krowtann into the tail until it runs out the hole so I know it got in. I do the same when i wash and neutralize. Haven't had a hair slip yet after several coons, bobcats and coyotes. Just my opinion.

9. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    Marty i agree.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Ditto...I do not split tails...I punch a hole at the tip of the tail by running a wire through it and then I milk the Krowtann or pickle down through the tail every day for the first 3 or 4 days. I understand how one bad experience would make one favor splitting tails. I don't like all that extra sewing either.

11. peedeedeer

thanks for the help.i dont like to sew either.that sure seems like a lot extra.