1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition rules

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by aussiesam, Aug 15, 2014.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Hi,

Could someone answer a question i have about a competition piece please?

A pedestal predator mount (ie wolf) with a LS prey item, (ie hare).

Would one item not be judged, can i select which one would be?

What category if any would this mount fit into, if any? Or would I be better off just doing 2 separate mounts for 2 categories?

Is there a link for rules please?

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Every show is different. I have been to shows where you must have both judged, but most would not require that. Here in MO you could pay to have one judged...both judged...or enter them together in "Mix Group" and have them judged as one. Are you asking about a show in particular? World Show?

3. aussiesam

Thanks Cole,

Its an Australian show, the first for the Association and I'm told we are following NTA rules.
    I found those rule and if I'm reading right, in the professional division, the major piece in the mount will be judged and I am assuming the LS would be the major part of the mount. (prey item is almost as large as the predator pedestal).

I'm confused and I would hate to do all that hard work to not to be able to have the pedestal mount judged.

I'm going to have to do 2 separate categories i think. :(

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Why don't you have both entries judged? I don't think the NTA has a mixed group category so you would have a gamehead and small lifesize.

5. aussiesam

Hmm, even if the LS was in the mouth of the pedestal?

6. Samantha, yes even if the mount is in the mouth you can compete with it. I know at the NTA show last month we certainly would have allowed it.

7. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Cole. they could not be judged mixed group , maybe group judging both for one score , one entry fee ,that's possible, but not mixed group they are both mammals.

8. catman

catman Active Member

A game head and a life size is a mixed group

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I suppose that too would depend on the show, in MO our mixed group is two different species so two mammals would be mixed, as long as they weren't the same mammal. The WTC rules state the animals have to be different classes. (ie. mammals, birds) It is a moot point in this situation, as the NTA (rules the Australian show are using) does not have a mixed group category.

10. aussiesam

Thanks guys.

After reading your replies and a nights sleep, I'm going to go with what I had originally planned on doing and hope I can at least get the one I want judged, if not both, (either separately or as a whole).
    I know if i don't go with what i planned I'll always be thinking, what if. :/

There is a single or group column to fill in on the entry form , but there is no description of what a group requirement is so hopefully.......

I guess it gives me an excuse to mount up something else just in case ><

Thank you.