1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Motivation

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 3bears, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    It's all how you look at things. Friend prices are gone and now I'm one of the highest priced guys in Iowa. I take way less heads in and make more money. Everyone is happy

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its a tough decision for many people to make. Its possible to get too far out of whack with prices too, but a guy should be able to price his worth. Glad to hear its working out!!!

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I have turned up all of my prices this year as well. Will see if I lose any customers. Seems some bitch no matter what you charge so what the hell. Work less and make more sounds better. Working FT and coming home to work needs to start paying more. Time is money and it seems I have less and less time this year. I don't know if I am too busy to go FT with taxidermy but I'm busy enough to where its not a weekend job anymore. If I'm going to give up every weekend and most of my weeknights then it is going to have to start paying off. I don't want to lose interest in something I really enjoy doing.

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I usually just put myself in my customers shoes- counting they days so eager to get their mount back.. So here I am at 3:44 in the afternoon surfing the web on my couch when I should be starting another job to I finish my day- but I'm not- I'm burnt out. I'm 3 months ahead of schedule so I feel I should take a breather and take it easy for the next 2 weeks before deer season starts and it's time for late night fleshing. I'm getting married in a week and I'm supposed to be doing final tasks for that- but that's worth putting off to search taxi.net isn't it?? Lol
    I got the wedding the 6th - honeymoon the 8-12th - opening weekend deer the 13th-14th and then I'll go back to mounting deer.

My biggest problem is I mount as much as I can (shoulder mounts) until I have no room on the wall to dry anymore... Once it's crowded I do the finish work on them all (about 6 at a time).... I just feel like I make more money putting a head together reather than finishing it lol- but in reality I make nothing until it's done..
    I hate how time consuming it is to finish a deer, call the customer, take pics, edit pic backgrounds, upload to my webpage, upload to Facebook, upload to Instagram, upload to my states hunting forum, wait for customer to show that never does, then when he does he's short on the balance due by a lousy few $$

But I wouldn't have it any other way- I enjoy the freedom of saying you know what- I got a nice buck on cam this week- I'm gonna go hunting all week unless someone calls with a deer to be dropped off. And I do just that. But only if I'm ahead of schedule. The good comes with the bad... If I look like I'm falling behind its on me to work overtime to make sure I don't fall behind.

5. Jay....You're too lucky buddy. My mortgage tells me I cant take off LOL

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Hahaha yea- I'm 28, getting married in 7 days, and we live with my parents- I wouldn't exactly call me lucky lol

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

3bears, I'm with you. I've hit that wall more times than most people visit WalMart. I used to feel guilty and used to feel an obligation and then I'd look at the contract. If I'm close or behind, I close the shop for the day, go fishing or set in a tree stand and then hit it the next day. If I'm ahead of the contract, then I let my batteries recharge. I can recognize the work I do that I force myself into. I always find it when I go to finish and airbrush the piece and I'm madder than a wet setting hen when I see it, knowing full well what caused it.

Richard Christoforo shared an article with me years ago about a study that had been done on people with bipolar tendencies. EVERY TAXIDERMIST OUT THERE IS BIPOLAR. Don't take my word for it, just look up the symptoms. We all work is spurts of creativity that inevitably end in doldrums of dread. Those days opening the shop door makes me ill, I close it and do something else. Other days I can't wait to get in there and have to force myself to leave excited about what lies next. We can all lie to our friends but we can't lie to ourselves.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well said George, we're all batchit crazy and most won't admit it. I have kind of worked through this bout as of now, but know damn well there will be many more. Take care of yourself and heal fast and well.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

Turn on ABBA and listen to Dancing Queen at 5 am, drink 3 cups of Brandy laced coffee………………you will be good for the rest of the day. LOL