1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Industrial walking foot sewing machine.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ron, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    Want to know what type of sewing machines do you guys use to sew 2 inch pleated felt around the perimeter of a Wolverine skin? any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated tired of sewing by hand.

2. I use a feitsew leather sewing machine. It goes through several layers of pleated felt and bear hide like it was not even there.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Mine's an old Pfaff made in about 1960 works great.

[​IMG]

4. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

There's a ton of different manufactures that make good sewing machines. I have a juki 1541, I had a consew before this one. Michelle Nelson mention the name brand she uses, and If I remember correctly you could buy a new one pretty reasonable .
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,371438.0.html

5. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    I just purchased a singer 31-15. Now I just need advise on how to make the pleats with the 2" double felt. Then attach it to the animal I'm working on with the sewing machine. I have been doing it with hot glue and hand stitching it. Takes forever though and a lot of work.I have no experience with a sewing machine but will learn if someone is willing to share their techniques with me. Thanks for your help.

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

OK, I don't do any rugging anymore as I find sending it out to be done is more cost effective for me. However, My wife does a lot of quilting and sewing...so she watches a lot of quilting and sewing shows on TV. One of the shows highlighted a sewing machine foot that made ruffles as it sewed. Pushed the material into a ruffle. Check with the manufacturer of your machine to see if they offer something like it. Would save a lot of hand work. Just a thought....JL

7. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    Yes that's called a ruffle foot attachment. I'm wanting to know how to make and sew pleats to the animal on the machine.

8. You might want to get RJ Simington bear rug video from Research - will show everything you need to know and is applicable to any rug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    I have discovered there's a high shank gathering foot made for my machine. I'm going to try it first. I have glued the 2" scalloped felt boarders together with hot glue I will use the shear foot to pleat felt.Then I will attach to wolverine all away around the skin.

10. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    [​IMG]
    Here he is need to do finish work.

[​IMG]

11. You need to get the DVD on Bear rugs by RJ Simington. Not only mounting the head is covered but his wife coveres in detail on how to make the pleats/ruffles, attaching the felt to the hide and installing the backing.

Great DVD. Got mine from Research.