1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Locking / Rotating Stand-up Fish Stand

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oagie, Aug 19, 2014.

1. I have been having some back / neck issues lately. Most of it is posture related, but painting from cradles has not been helping. I would like to build a stand up painting stand. Something that swivels, rotates and locks into position. I have this dremel vise which is kinda working but it is made of plastic and it will fail soon.

Anyone have experience with a stand like this or knows of a locking ball joint?

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I've heard some use specialty camera tripods with success. I have a gps mount I've used on fish up to bass size with a locking ball joint. It'd be too small for big fish though. Maybe that helps.
    Sorry about the pain and discomfort.
    Best, Scott

3. I looked at that stuff. Its too small for my liking. Most of my fish are big steelhead and chinook salmon. Thanks.

4. I've used my deer mounting stand for many years to paint fish, either standing up or sitting down. It swivels, rotates and locks into position. I just have some smaller attachment plates for the smaller fish.

5. I also use a table top deer mounting stand to paint my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Ken Binegar from Ohio sells a table top "fish stand". Like a deer stand but smaller with a couple different adjustments. It is very affordable and does the job. His phone is 937-323-4490.

7. 1fish2fish

Drum stands maybe?

I'd say you might have more ergonomic range from a full size deer stand than a table mount if you go that route. Of course they are bulkier if you don't have space.

Best, Scott

8. What about making something like this stand. I use it for everything from 6 foot sturgeon to 19 inch bass/crappie. It's homemade of course, but it has wheels and can spin around in place. I've been using it for a while a wouldn't go back to the old versa-flex. Also, I don't have to drill holes for attachment, making 360 degree fish easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. den007

den007 Active Member

That PVC pipe stand looks pretty innovative. I know you glue the stuff together, but have never worked with it. How do you get that angle to the top part of it? I have a Van dykes stand I use when I have to, but always hate putting the fish on a plate and drilling more holes. I would rather prop them up like you do.

10. Very cool. All that stand needs is a little table or box attached to it so you can set down tools.

Something to consider.

11. Yes, it has been considered, but with time limited, it always gets pushed to the back burner.

12. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

He's using 22.5 degree slip fittings, and when glued to the upright pieces, that's giving him the angle you see. Look close at the pic, below the angled back-piece, and you'll see the short fittings. Readily available at any hardware store. Not speaking for the original poster, but: PVC is VERY cheap, simple to work with, and this stand could be built within an hour and ready for work!

Neat idea!

13. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Nice fish by the way :)

14. den007

den007 Active Member

Thanks Gary. That will help in my construction. If it does not involve a dremel, screwdriver, vise grips, or hammer………I am "tool impaired."

15. Stephen Lafredo

Stephen Lafredo Member

The RAM mounts sound very interesting. If you have some time could you post a picture or two?

Thanks.

Stephen

16. 1fish2fish

Hi Stephen,
    The gps mount I've used (mentioned earlier) is a RAM mount. I'm on vacation, so I can't post a pic, but if you google RAM gps mounts you'll get to their website. I configured mine from their components, aka, not a pre-assembled unit.
    Best, Scott

17. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

The RAM mounts are a bit more expensive than rolling your own stand with PVC. But vouching for the RAM products, they are spectacular! I've got an iPad mini that I use for my navigation/GPS in the Cessna, and it has the RAM mount. It's awesome. You can adjust it to virtually any angle you like, and it stays put!

Great idea using the RAM mount and adapting it to the bench for painting purposes!

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Very interesting thread
    Thanks guys
    Carl

19. Stephen Lafredo

Stephen Lafredo Member

Hi Ken/Scott,

Thanks for the details. It provides a new perspective on how I might use these mounts.

Stephen

20. 1fish2fish

I got the idea from someone else who suggested it on the forum; I needed a stand that would be compact and travel easily. For my configuration, I got the optional locking suction cup for working during travel, and it's always passed muster for strength, again, for bass sized work. The ball joints have held up too. I'm sure Ken's version could be used for heavier work, being designed for motors, and is a better option for the shop.

As others, I use a deer mounting stand In the shop when I airbrush.

Best, Scott