1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ada2453, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I've been fleshing everything by hand up till now. I just got a Dakota Pro and I was wondering if most people flesh all of the large chunks of fat and meat off by hand before using the machine or just use the machine to take it all off and shave it down as well? Seems silly to do any fleshing by hand when I have this expensive machine but thought the meat might get caught up in the pulley's. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Simply put, if I'm doing a bear that comes in with two inches or more fat and meat, I will take my knife and cut off the heavy stuff first then go on the blade. It does kill the arms going back and forth over the blade trying to get that much fat and meat off. just my opinion

3. Thanks Frank, I appreciate it!

4. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Agreed

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use a fleshing knife and beam to flesh and my Dakota Pro for thinning during the pickle.

6. I started with a Dakota IV and after I graduated to the Dakota Pro I set the old machine to take a larger "bite" which basically takes everything down to the start of the skin. Before the Dakota Pro I used my skinning knife on a 10-15 degree angle to remove the big stuff. Got spoiled and now I will always have an old machine to rough flesh prior to tanning....I save the Pro for the important work.