1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small whitetail

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K1976g, Aug 21, 2014.

1. K1976g

K1976g New Member

I just recently found out the measurements taken off of my deer that is at my taxidermist. He said it was 17 inches at smallest point of the neck and 18 inches 3 inches down with a eye to nose measurement of 6 inches. Was wondering if y'all can post some pics of smaller bucks like this. Most of the deer I see on here are much bigger just want to see what it might look like. Thank you in advance!

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Get on Mc Kenzies web site the catalog is full of pictures of deer mounted of all sizes.

3. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Google small deer mounts . should be some on there .

4. here's a couple 17" necks. They all make a pretty mount if the guy knows what he's doing.
    Jim

Attached Files:

5. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Thank you for the pics! Those are awesome looking mounts!

6. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Small deer ;D [​IMG]

7. How about this one?

Attached Files:

8. JW

JW New Member

How do you see your deer?
    I always take time to chat with my clients.
    Most think their deer's neck was much larger than it was. If you see your deer as having a large neck, go with something along the line of a semi sneak pose. Many good pictures and suggestions on here. Doing a little research and talking to your taxidermist, will accomplish a lot for you.

9. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Thanks for the comment JW ! We did decide on a semi sneak pose! I'm pretty realistic with my expectations. I hunt in the Texas hill country we see a lot of deer but most are small bodied deer!

10. That's our average local deer we get in my neck of the woods. It doesn't make them any less of a trophy though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Pretty nice bucks for average Sandy ; Those would be big in the area i hunt . this is the second season with the three points on one side restriction , hopefully some nice one`s will be taken this season . :)

12. Yes these are "larger" on the antler size, but both were 17" at the c measurement. I get a lot of 16-17" with racks typically like Sterlings. I generally like to use the Matt Thompson semi upright OFFSET on those deer. Even though the neck isn't puffed up, it gives the illusion the deer overall is bigger (than say I used same measurements in a 6500)

13. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Sandy those are great looking mounts ! If mine turns out half as good as those I will be totally happy!!

14. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Thanks Sterling B that is a very good looking mount! I love this site y'all are some very talented taxidermists!!