1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

It pays to shop around

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by FishArt, Aug 21, 2014.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Being fed up with the UPS costs to ship fish I took some time and looked around a little. There's a SpeeDee contractor 25 minutes from my house so I decided to go with them. If I would have known SpeeDee had a subsidiary this close to me I would have gone there years ago. I had two big Lakers going to NW Iowa from here. Oversized boxes. With insurance Fedex wanted $245 to ship the one larger box! SpeeDee did the same service for $48!!!! I shipped TWO big fish for $88 bucks with SpeeDee! I sure wish they'd expand their territory out a bit. Plus, I get to write off the mileage so it was an hour round trip well spent! Even had plenty of money leftover to stop for lunch with my son on the way back - lol!

P.S. Keep in mind too that this place was not a direct SpeeDee drop off - so their prices have to be marked up a bit too! CRAZY difference!!!!

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I avoid .........

I avoid going to UPS or FEDEX hubs and ship. I instead go to the local mom & pop shipping store here in Chino Valley and ship UPS and FEDEX and save around 30% for the SAME SHIPPING SERVICE.

:)

Kerby...

3. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

Marty,

You can call Speedee and have them pick up at your place for $6.00 additional if you call the day before you want to ship. All you need is the weight and package dimensions so they can calculate the cost. They will take your credit/debit card over the phone and tell you the exact cost, or you can pay the driver when he stops. Just takes a little time on the phone, as they are a little backed up every time I call. This would be a lot easier than driving and using your time and gas. Go online and see what number to call in your area or I can give you the number that I use here in Minnesota.

Good Luck - we love Speedee

Gary B.
    Brunko Taxidermy
    Morris, MN

4. FishArt

That's good to know Gary and thanks for the info! I didn't know if they would do that for a residential area and certainly not for that cheap! I despise the whole shipping part of this business and the more I can get out of my hands the better! And I already have an accurate scale (wrestling kids) so I can get within 2/10ths of a pound - good enough I'm sure! Thanks again and "yes" I'll bug you if I can't figure out which number to call. ;)

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Speedee saves my customers 50 bucks a mount on average

6. FishArt

The difference this time for me was ridiculous - SpeeDee was less than 1/5th the price of UPS!

7. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.

Speedee puts a additional $50.00 per mount in MY POCKET !!!!!!

8. FishArt

SpeeDee is truly SPEEDY! Packages have already arrived to their 400+ mile destination! 24 hours from the time I dropped them off to delivery!

9. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

We get our supplies overnight with Speedee if the order is placed before 10 AM. Now that's Speedee :) Last fish I shipped out took USPS more than 2 weeks on a Priority shipment . Lets just say my customer was a little pissed off LOL. , Mark