1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by B Jones, Aug 22, 2014.

1. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Back in June of 2013 the NTA was doing a membership drive. I ran an essay contest on here asking people to write their feelings about what taxidermy means to them. The reward for the winner was a lifetime membership to the NTA. This contest was judged by several members that are regulars on taxi.net. Long story short, a young women from Louisiana won the contest. I asked her to fill out the application and mail it to me. She did that and I mailed it along with the payment for the membership to NTA Headquarters, which at that time was in Cleveland, OH. Well today I got a call from her asking me if I could help her straighten this out. The problem here is she is being told that they have no record of her being a lifetime member. She has talked to many people who are or have been involved with this Association with no luck. If I remember correctly this is after all the stuff with the NTA fiasco had happened and people were trying to start the rebuilding of the once great NTA. I had MP post the contest info on here because I wanted to be anonymous and wanted no fuss made over it. I was already a life member but I wanted to help with the rebuilding of this once Great Association. I am done with the NTA personally, because I will bet they don't have record of me being a life member. I do have my card stating that I am,so if someday it gets fixed and they have people who can keep track of money and members then I can return. Those who want to post on here that I should be part of the solution don't even go there. I tried by buying a young lady a life membership and by doing that increasing revenue for the NTA, when they were asking for help to build up the membership.

This young lady called me today and I could tell she was upset about it all and was at the end of her rope trying to get recognized by the NTA. I will find out how I paid for this wether it was a CC, a check and when I do I will get the info to her so she can finally have her membership after well over a year. I know who handled this part of the Associations business when the transaction took place. Why are the records not available to her or me to prove she is in fact a Life Member. This was well after the Louisiana Mafia were out of the picture and this transaction was not in the records that they still have. So the parties involved can accuse those low life's. I won't rest till I can help this young lady, she proved to me before when's he wrote her essay and today that the NTA and Taxidermy are important to her.

Thanks for reading my rant and over looking my inability to write with proper punctuation. This is for sure a sad deal

Brad

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Thanks for trying to do a great thing Brad. Why is everything impossible with the NTA??

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Brad, if you want to put it out there like that then that's fine, but there is more to it.

I was the one who brought it to Janna's attention. I also was the one who looked on the register and could not find her. I was not on the register either until recently. I sent a check to Siddell La, and my application for membership was rejected, but I never received the check back.. I then sent a check to John Janelli that was cashed but I never received anything from NTA HQ which was now at Bedford Oh. The same place that failed to register Janna. So I go to the NTA convention this year and I'm not on the membership list. Quickly Connie Webb corrected that, issued me a membership card and the rest is history. Now it has been declared, posted, talked about and directed that neither the Crain's nor Joe Kulis was very cooperative with forwarding any information on to the new HQ office, so in fact, many records are missing. It has been posted for everyone to call HQ and make sure everything is updated. You can't blame those currently in those positions for the failures of those from the past.

Having the attitude that one won't get involved until it's fixed is easy. Helping by becoming a part of the solution is the hard part. You don't have to get involved if you don't want to. But please be respectful of those who are spending every waking moment to rebuild the NTA. Much much work is going into it. It will understandably take some time to rebuild the memberships trust. But to make a post like this without all the information is also the type of thing that continues to tear down what others are trying to fix.........FOR YOU.

In closing, a simple phone call to Connie at HQ would have resolved the issue. But I guess you felt you needed to vent. I called Mitch today myself and the issue was rectified immediately. Problem solved. The only question that remains is; did you in fact send in the check? That was what was asked of you. If you didn't, do you plan to. If you did, do you have a record of it? HQ does not have a record of it. But that doesn't mean you didn't send it. However, knowing you to be a man of integrity, I knew you wouldn't claim to have sent in a check if you had not. So asking you was the most credible way of knowing if Janna's membership had been paid for or not. So what is the problem here?

But before you go to all the trouble to look thru your records, here's what I received from Mitch to verify Janna's Lifetime Membership.......So THANK YOU BRAD for your act of kindness and NTA spirit.

Here's where I had Janna's plaque made for the awards banquet last year .

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 2, 2013 at 4:22:45 PM CDT
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: Lifetime members

Received
    -----Original Message-----
    To: attawaytrophies <[email protected]>
    Sent: Tue, Jul 2, 2013 3:26 pm
    Subject: Lifetime members

The three I have right now are
    Janna Medved
    Gina Tyler
    Wm. Davidson

Thanks guys
    Mitch

P.S. Yes Brad your name does in fact show up on the LT roster.

4. B Jones

I already got involved Tim before it is
    fixed like I said, that was over a year ago, isn't doing the essay contest to help the NTA getting involved. I am just putting it the way it is, I didn't make this bed. I should have known better than to write anything about the NTA, I just want this young lady to have what she deserves. Like I said I'll find my records as soon as possible. I am not blaming anyone or using anyone's name, all I said is it should be on the record it was after the fiasco and during this rebuild. There was an application and payment sent to the headquarters in the State that it was in at the time. One last thing if it were resolved why did I not get a phone call to tell me it was resolved. I sure got the other call and had I got a follow up to let me know it was fixed, then this post, would not have happened and I would not look like the bad guy in your eyes. I am a person of integrity, if I were not,do you think I would give a damn wether or not Janna got what she earned.

To all that are working today to rebuild the NTA, this post was never intended to be a slap in your face. I am sorry if it reads that way, like I stated I am not very good at writing and conveying feelings in words.

5. antlerman

Brad, I didn't overhear yours and Janna's conversation, so I don't know the pulse of that conversation. All I know was that she was going to call you. Hell, I didn't even know until my call with her today that it was you who donated the membership. I can't control Janna's feelings or know her feelings of urgency about this. I can only say what I know. That is that she was going to call you and I was going to call Mitch. We have not had the chance to re-converse yet, so your post came as some what of a surprise. I quite frankly felt that at this late of an hour that tomorrow would have been appropriate to call her concerning this.

6. B Jones

So I guess we are on the same page Tim? The phone call today took me by total surprise, would it not have done the same to you?

7. antlerman

Yes Brad. It would have. But I would have made the call. I guess that's where we differ. Yet, I agree.......I do think were on the same page. I'm just saying...lets continue to build and not tear down. There's been enough tearing down already. Even by people who I trusted and believed in. Let's work together to build so that you and I and everyone else, regardless of their involvement, can someday have an NTA that we all can be proud of.

8. B Jones

I can't agree with you more Tim, I might have made a call if for one I knew who to call, I am so disconnected with the NTA. I also was just plain upset about it.

9. antlerman

I understand. I also understand that a better effort has to be made coming from our leaders to keep a presence with the membership. I also trust that is coming as we speak. They know of the importance. That message is finally being heard. Mitch just had a post on here about the elections within the last day or so. So I know it is being heard and acted upon. Maybe not as quickly and as often as we want yet, but we have to understand that they too have to gain some trust in people like me, who took them to task rather matter of factly like. It does work both ways. But over time I think we will learn to trust each other more so than any of us showed in the past.

Most of them see taxinet as the enemy. Perhaps we are deserving of that perception. But gradually we are gaining their trust. I believe at this place and time, the more we encourage their presence, the more present they will become.

10. Well, I also sent in my money to Joe Kulis for an annual membership after the Crain's were out. I never heard a thing. No membership card - nothing. But my check was cashed.

Bruce

11. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

Brad I just called you to gather information, I'm very sorry that I alarmed you. I absolutely did not mean to, I was just trying to do some of my own leg work. If I sounded frustrated and at wit's end to you, it's because sciatica was giving me a run for my money yesterday. It had nothing to do with NTA stuff, I promise. Nobody I've spoken with has denied that you paid or that I am a member, they just don't have the records and so I haven't been assigned a member number, etc. I'm not being actively denied anything, it's just an issue that hasn't been gotten around to being tracked down until now. In fact, a board member I spoke to in the spring mentioned I would still be eligible for NTA points if I chose to compete, that they were aware of my info being misplaced and for me to keep track of any scoresheets so WHEN it gets worked out anything earned could be applied. I'm not upset about it, and don't want anyone else to be either. I never worried the issue wasn't important to the board members I had contacted, I honestly think they've just all had their hands too full to deal with it until now. Tim has been the first person to look at a roster while I was on the phone with him, saw I wasn't even on it, and decided to take time to deal with it "right now" by contacting a different board member that he felt could handle my situation better. No harm, no foul, no upset, no urgency, no offense, no defense, no soup for you lol..........I haven't even pursued the issue doggedly myself because I assumed I wasn't the only person with missing data and that it would get worked out when everyone else's stuff got worked out. I've made sure to mention it so it doesn't get forgotten about, but haven't made demands or felt slighted over it not being immediately fixed. I Just wanted to help take care of it if I could and had been given an avenue to try. (advice given was to call and ask for receipt info, because it seemed to be the missing link in ppwk......so that's what I did.) It's all good! 8) I apologize for any miscommunications.

12. Brad, Did you bother to look at the NTA website for contact info?
    http://www.taxidermy.net/ see the link just click it. Not at all hard to find. Just google National Taxidermist Assoc. and the website is the first thing that pops up.

Now I and the rest of the board know that Kulis dropped the ball big time on a lot of things. So pick up the pieces and go from there.

How do you resolve a problem with any firm, organization or anything else.
    Gather the needed info, right!!
    Names, dates, places actions.

Ok what are the actions.
    1.contact the other party, right we can all agree on that. Did you call NTA Head Quarters? Did you call any of the board members or email the problem to any of us?
    2.Provide proof of things either said or done. i.e. copy of the canceled check from and back.
    3. Ask for correction.
    4. Work with other party to correct the problem.

If there is a problem with the NTA we need to know about it. We will work to rectify the situation.

Tim Thank you for taking the time to fix this.

13. B Jones

John, thanks for the enlightenment I appreciate it, I knew it was a matter of time before you would share with me. I believe Janna did all of this and has been working on it for some time. I was broadsided by this yesterday afternoon at work and could not call HQ. oh and I know my way around a computer and can find the info that I need. No need to throw out the insults, but I understand, I will be contacting them on Monday to talk to someone about it. I am not a dumbass and I know how things work within a business structure. You don't know me so we will leave it at that, and I will say nothing more about this. Tim handled this in a very professional manner and I do thank him for that. I also thank him and Mitch for helping Janna.

I don't know anything about Joe or what he did or did not do. I, in my original post I did not mention names and I will not mention any names, Anyone that volunteers for these elected positions are the NTA. I know first hand what it takes to work within a Taxidermy Association. It is hours of thankless work that some appreciate and some don't.

I will, like I have said, research all of my CC statements and my checking statements this weekend to find the transaction. I know what I did with Janna's Application for membership when she mailed it to me last June.

Tim, I wish now I would have just called you Friday after Janna called me.

14. antlerman

A.M. UPDATE

So as to not hang the innocent.........Connie Webb called me this morning with this information.

Copies of checks are as follows.
    Mount your Pride Taxidermy
    Brad Jones
    Ck# 2055 Dated 6/18/13
    memo Janna Medved LT membership

Bruce Norton
    Ck# 10630 dated 5/18/13

Janna Medved LT membership # 512
    Membership packet is being sent to you.

I hope this lays to rest this issue, and we can let Joe Kulis out of the noose and off the tree. For now at least, this hanging party is over.

Brad, it has been handled. Records have been checked and all checks out fine. We love and respect you. No need to apologize for anything. No regrets.

15. Brad, just went by what I read in your post sorry you feel insulted. I just know the information is on line and it seems for some reason many people can't find it or wants to accuse the current Admin. of the NTA of not doing things. Noone can fix anything until both parties know what is going on, and it just seems everyone wants to make accusations. Well I have to defend what I know as true, its been a lot of work for all of us.

Now with the elections coming up Brad, here is the time for you to jump right in and help us. You also don't have to be on the board to help!!! Tim has been a great help, I am sure you could add to this too.

16. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

Heard today on the news that Russia was going to invade Turkey from behind, do you think Grease will help ?

17. B Jones

Now that's funny,, thanks for the laugh.

18. antlerman

Always got love the guys that come along to lighten the mood. Thanks Jim. That's funny.