1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many others do this?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brian Reinertson, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    For deerheads this season I require full payment up front. I'm so sick of deposits and waiting on people to come up with the money to pick them up. So, pay now or no mount from this guy. Makes bookwork real easy for me. Sure, a cape might get screwed up from tannery but that is rare.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I still...........

I still get 50% up front and final payment on pick up. I can't remember the last time I got stiffed.

;D

Kerby...

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If it works for you, great. I wouldn't pay anyone up front completely for something unseen, therefor I wouldn't expect anyone else to either. I have repeat customers that do but I would rather they didn't. I sometimes have an issue with sticking to a budget.

4. I'm with 3bears on this one Brian, I would think twice before going a head with it, good luck with whatever you decide. Jim

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Good luck with that. I hope it works out. too bad you are not in Ohio. I could use the work.

6. I get 50% upfront for everything! That's the nature of the business here, this accomplishes several things, customers giving a deposit are more likely to pick up their work in a timely manner, cash flow is inherently slow in the taxidermy business, if things go south with a customers personal life (job, wife, law, etc.) at least you're covered for material and some of your labor, requiring a deposit in my opinion shows you are serious about what you do as a full time professional taxidermist, with all the financial responsibilities and duties of any well ran business.
    DC

7. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I will stick to 50% down. My customers new and old would think what the heck is going on. It would be nice to get it all up front but its not good for business JMO

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I am to the point that I am going to call customers this next season that their mount is next on the list to be mounted and will be ready for pickup in two/three weeks, will you be ready with final payment. If not, to the back of the line. Don't need to stare at my finished work for months at a time. In this state we can't sell whitetail antlers/ mounts at all, so payment in full would be something to look into before starting final mount.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

This scenario ensues. I would like to get this deer head mounted. Okay that will be 100% down. I don't have that. But I do have enough for 50% down. Sorry, take it home put it in the freezer and bring it back when you have the 100%. I don't have freezer room. Sorry I can't help you. That's ok, I understand. Off he goes to the next taxidermist. I guess the same scenario could take place on a 50% down too, put less likely.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I usually don't have a problem with just 50% up front. Plus I like getting a "pay check" when the work is done.

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Exactly

12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the bbb warns against giving anyone 100% down on any type of work.....people getting screwed is on the news every night about someone who paid up front for work and it wasn't finished....the other 50% is your incentive to get the work done....

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You most likely can get them in the mindset of paying up front if you break it up first. Deposit to start, and then the balance due to be paid just prior to completion. Its still enough incentive, plus its fair to both . It also keeps you on schedule as well. Just be sure to explain it in advance.

14. zubba

zubba Active Member

I also do 50% at drop off, 50% at pickup & haven't been stuck with a mount yet. I have people who pay it all at drop off & i don't like it....by the time I get to their head, I don't feel any incentive/motivation for getting it done. There money is already spent & gone and I feel like I'm working for free, haha.

15. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

OP, how are you price wise compared to your local competition? Are you on the low end, average or high end?

16. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Paul I gift them to someone in another state. I get a notarized copy of the receipt that it was gifted by the recipient ;)

17. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I'm one of the highest in the area $625 for shoulder mount deer. I have built a customer base that expects nothing but the best and that's what they get every time. I compete in masters with customer deer. That's why I'm sticking to my plan this season. I guess we will see how much work I get this season. If it's less, fine. If it's more or the same great.

18. dablaw

dablaw Member

90% of my customers pay 100% up front without me asking..On migratory birds it's 100% for everyone..I just require 50% down on everything else but like i said most pay 100%..I mounted a young girls first deer and she paid me 100 bucks up front and every week she would bring me a jar full of quarters and other change..we would sit and count out 20-50 dollars worth of change every week...By the time it was done she owed one dollar and proudly brought me that one last dollar to pay it off...I still have that dollar...Point is be flexible when the circumstance requires it such as i had to...I have a CC procassor as well and that has been a huge convienience for my customers paying...just remember the golden rule and BE NICE when you can..I've got a young customer for life now ... David.

19. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I too have some customer work from last year still hanging around. Mainly friend's mounts. Of course I didn't get a deposit from him because he is usually good about picking things up in a timely manner. This year I'm not mounting anything until I get half up front. If they don't have a way to pay their hides will remain salted until they bring me a deposit. Got a guy that brought in a large coon and beaver with no deposit and he calls once in a while bitching because his mounts aren't done. I just told him they are skinned and will be tanned when I see some money.

20. I could not imagine paying anyone upfront. Most places that offer a service allow you to pay half or pay after the work is complete. Like mechanics for example. I do 50% Down, the other half due when they pick it up. On their invoice, you can state that if not picked up within so many days of completion, mount will be sold for cost of materials and labor. It's really not hard to get your money out of a mount if they don't pick it up. Heck sometimes you can get more for the mount then what they owed to you. Or it makes a good showroom piece, with a price tag on it. If the customer comes in months after the time you gave them to make payment wanting to pick up mount. Tell them they can buy it for the price that's on it, to cover not only labor and materials, but also for storage costs. Sounds crazy, but sometimes you have to play hardball with people. It's not like you want he/or she for a customer again, if they can't pick up their stuff in a timely manner.