1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Transport fresh black bear

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elkman1970, Aug 25, 2014.

1. elkman1970

elkman1970 New Member

I'm going bear hunting in Maine and want to mount life size but I'm not sure of the best way to travel 30 hours with fresh hide. I will take salt with me and I have use of a freezer at camp so should I salt for a couple of days and transport dry or salt it once and then roll up and put it in the freezer to freeze I'll have a cooler for the ride. I'm in my first year of taxidermy so I'm not sure please help.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

If you have a freezer at camp, skin the bear, lay it out flat somewhat in the freezer for an hour or so. After it is thoroughly cold and starting to freeze start folding it up. If you don't cool the bear thoroughly before rolling or folding it up, it will insulate itself and have warm pockets. Bears are notorious for this. Get that sucker froze like a rock, put it in a trash bag, sit him on top of ice in a good cooler keeping the hide out of any water for the ride home. Since your new at this, I wouldn't recommend salting the bear. Good luck.

3. Hello Backcountry taxi this procedure is it for the prevention of bacteria growth

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Don't mean to speak for Backcountry, but yes...it is to prevent bacteria growth which can cause slippage. Heat and moisture are two major enemies of hides/capes. When freezing, especially something big and that has a lot of fur, you have to take care not to create warm pockets when folding or rolling. Make sure it all gets frozen and then keep it dry.

I will add that I try to always carry a bottle of Stop Rot with me on my hunting trips.

5. elkman1970

elkman1970 New Member

Ok thanks for info will get a good DVD from someone when I return home before I start mounting it I know bears are very grease should I wash it in dawn before freezing it at camp?

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll say it depends. If you kill the first night or two and have the rest of the week and a spot to flesh it. You might as well get after it. Flesh and salt it and get the drying started. If you are on the last part of the week maybe freezing it would be best. Just be ready to get after it ASAP after you get home, it will likely be thawing rapidly after 30 hours if not completely thawed. Yes, bring some stop rot regardless.

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

If you haven't fleshed a bear before it will be very different for you. The fat is greasy and spongy. Like above depends on when u can kill it during the trip. Although if you can get it froze good before you leave and get it home to better facilities it's better

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Oh you better do allot more reading on here about bears than just watching a mounting video as it appears that this is your 1st mount. And send it to the tannery unless u enjoy playing hell with tanning it yourself. George has a good post called what I know about bears. Good luck