1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy is last on the totem pole.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ortegageno, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hunter's will spend money on hunts, weapons, ammo,travels, fuel, guide service, and meet processing and will never try and ebay the asking price. But when it comes to taxidermy and the true representation of all they have spent to get the animal they try and negotiate price. Are they ever gonna realize that when all is said and done and all the other expenses have been forgotten, the only thing they have to remember of the hunt is their taxidermy work. Just venting a bit.

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Never, ever negotiate your prices. Word will be out quicker than you can say "Boo" and every jerk out there will be using it against you. "Well you gave it to (put in any name you want here) can't you cut me a deal also"? And the cycle will escalate.

I don't do commercial taxidermy but when I had my electronics repair shop I had people try to negotiate but I always told them my prices were based on what it took to keep my door open and being able to support my family. If they didn't want to pay it, so be it. I didn't need this type of customer the same as a taxidermist does not need them.

I loved the ones who would cry they are on a fixed income! My response was, "At least you know exactly how much you have each month, I don't."

Another good one: "Do you give a senior citizen (or handicap) discount?"
    Response: "When my insurance company, parts supply house, the gas station, mechanic etc start giving me discounts I will start passing along the saving. Until then, everyone pays the same."

It is a pain in the rear end but listening to customers bitch and complain about prices is part of owning any business!

Vic

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Here's my favorite. The guy and some buddies go on lets say a caribou hunt. They throw all the heads in a truck and drive to your business together. Then say we want a group discount. WTH? Do they get easier to mount if they show up in bulk? I asked a guy who said this exact thing which way he wanted his Caribou turned cause the eye towards the wall wont show much anyway so to save money I'll leave it out! He paid full price as did his friends. Told them 6 Caribou in one truck or 6 different trucks are the same amount of work. Unbelievable! :eek:

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I tell my clients ...you Pay for a hunt you get a few days a few weeks .... a few pictures...a few memories.... We give you something tangible that you can touch, feel, share, something that causes emotion. You pay big dollars to hunt an animal with a guide that is paid to act like your friend and make sure you have a good time, When you gone it's on to the next hunter, that's his job and get an animal for your to harvest..and enjoy for a few moments..We give you that trophy for the rest of your life.....

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Well put Dennis

6. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I agree Geno. I went up quite a bit more on my prices this year. I'm up to $785 on deer and $745 on pronghorn. So far I've gotten more work than last year.

The cheapies will always be cheap and will slowly be unable to "afford" to complete the work they've taken in. I don't understand it. It takes just as much $$ to do a crappy mount as a good one. May as well charge for it. People are funny about paying for taxidermy work. Guys come out all if the time from other states and will pay over $12,000 for an elk hunt, and then freak when it comes time to pay me. Heck, they pay more sometimes to overnight their meat to Pennsylvania than my bill will cost them!! Go figger

Hope all of you 'netters have a great and prosperous fall.....

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Major you da man lol. Much more than 450 in KY for a whitetail and they lose there mind. Well if the other 300 taxidermist would go up to we would have it made in my area lol.

8. Major, why $40.00 cheaper on the pronghorn?

9. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Ha ha John that's a great question. Pronghorn are actually more work in my opinion. Removing horns, ten times the grooming, etc. However, in public opinion, a pronghorn is much smaller mount and they think it should be cheaper. I don't know, I've contemplated making them the same. But in the realm if things, $40 difference is not that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

10. gab

gab Active Member

had a guy call that just got back from Africa.Said his friends highly recommended us.Wanted our price on lifesize leopard and others.When I started quoting our price list,he said whoa,he didn't want to waste any more of my time.We were too high for him.He probably had 20 grand invested in that hunt and was going to take it to the cheapest guy he could find.We are 5000 for a leopard with base and habitat

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I charge $25 more than a deer for pronghorn. Anyway, what a concept Major. You charge more than most taxidermists in America and are still in business. That is the way to make a living. I hope that some will use this as an example. I charge near the top for my state near $600 and have to turn the work away so I can keep my 1 year or less turnaround.

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I charge $50 more for pronghorn and sheep/goats than for a deer. I've raised my price steadily nearly every year on most things. I was the highest in my area 2 years ago and have raised them twice since then. My business has gone steadily up, but I don't have 300 taxidermists near me and the cost of living is very high here. There are very poor people in my area, but also very wealthy and I get both as clients. There are probably about a dozen taxidermists in my surrounding area. I do have people drive from a couple hours away because they've heard good things about me. I do get people who think it's too high and don't bring stuff, but I'm so busy that I'm kind of relieved when someone doesn't want to bring something.

13. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Yeah boar seems there is a new taxidermist or 3 pops up every year within a 30 min radius. All run 300 to 400. One guy that's an hour away and been there along time does quick DP mounts and does a couple hundred a year for 300. Crazy! I'm thinking moving to 450 this year

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm at $600 for deer. My teacher charged $350 10 years ago. The other main guy charged the same. When I went to $450 then to $600 I thought I'd lose a lot of customers. Some of the cheaper ones did drop off, but a lot more came to take their place. When someone picks up a mount I go over things I do that I know many around me don't. Then when they get home they compare or tell their friends. The other main guy just raised his to $450 since mine is $600. But like I said, there aren't hundreds around here, only about a dozen or so.

15. tem

tem Well-Known Member

we might be at the bottom of the totem pole. but were the foundation of that big totem pole. ;)

16. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I see there is a post in the Employment Section for a Hunt Broker. How many have developed relationships like that ? Is it working, Not working?

I think I would network with those guys and get a foothold a little further up the pole. You have a chance to sell yourself to the hunter from the start. People doing these hunts have money. They go out intending to bag a trophy. Unlike Joe Blow who happens upon a huge buck because he's laid off, broke and nothing to do but hunt.

If you do not get the work, at least you've made some money off the hunt. I'm sure it means more work/time and you would have to do your homework so you don't hitch your wagon to a loser, but if you're in the hunting or fishing industry the stronger your network the better. IMO.

17. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I would never turn away work as a means to maintain a one year return. I admire that youd stick to a one year return, but I see that adjusting the price would be the better way to achieve it.

Major, thats funny. Im with ya there cuz I had a similar situation with caribou. My deer prices were higher than the caribou. Haha. I suppose its because I relied so much on deer day to day, and not caribou, and kept my figures based on the deer. One really funny price discrepancy I often see in price lists is life size small animals vs shoulder mount small animals. Theyll have a coon or fox underpriced for a lifesize, then work pricing backwards on the shoulder mount. Like a $400 ls coyote becoming a $175 coyote om head mount. Egads!