1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first bear question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by E. Byrd, Aug 31, 2014.

1. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

ive done several deer but i got a call today about 3 black bear that they want a rug or head mount on all 3. question is , how different is the bear mounting process than a deer mount. i would have it tanned at a tannery but do everything else myself. any help is appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    No antlers, 3 times as greasy, ears are harder to turn, most folks want bears with open mouths, meaning more finish work. You can do a bear shoulder mount without a seam, less sewing. Mounting a closed mouth shoulder or rug form bear easy, open mouth or rugging, not so easy.

3. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

Luckily I sold atleast one of em on a closed mouth shoulder mount. Since you apparently have done em before, is there a tannery that you would recommend? Thanks for the help

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Get the black bear rugging DVD from Research Mannikins and the life size black bear DVD from Taxidermy Training Unlimited and a black bear shoulder mount DVD from who ever makes one and then you will know what it take to do these.

5. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

JMO use a good form and a cast lip system. Open mouth very good results. Charge enough to have the felting / rugging done by a fulltime person. It makes or breaks the finished product. For example I charge $185 per foot from the nose to the tip of the tail and round the measurement up. Skulls the same way send them out to have them bug cleaned/whitened for those $225. I have used the WildLife Gallery and Rug-be-bears and just tried the skull cleaning with great results kind of a one stop shop.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

AMEN! ANYONE trying to rug a bear is simply playing with their ass. To be done properly, you first need a rigging table which would take up most shops I know about. After stretching, splicing, patching, dying, and installing the fringe and backing, you'd need to charge $500 a foot to break even. Have it done professionally, get a professional product , and get a happy client who'll be back with more work.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

George is correct. If you plan on doing lots of rugs, get the DVD and equipment and go for it. I did, and don't regret it, however, I do several a year and my wife is my rugger. I mount and stretch and help her sew the felt boarder to the hide and she does the rest. If you do one occasionally, then get the DVD so you have some knowledge of it and send the bear to a rugger. Rugging cost me a little over $1,000 for a sewing machine and I had plenty of room for the table. My wife is terribly ill now and I will be sending the mounted head out to be stretched and rugged until I master the sewing machine. So basically, I'll be sending them out from now on.

8. 8Point

8Point Member

Sorry to hear about your wife...

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thank you. She was bedridden for two months until her meds were changed and now she can get up and move around. The doc did all kinds of tests but failed to check the meds she was taking until I protested. He finally looked at them and made many changes. Hopefully she is on the road to recovery.

10. 8Point

8Point Member

That's good news! Hope so to! I tossed up a quick prayer for her.....

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

She's in my prayers Tanglewood

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thanks guys, and George, you know you and Connie are in mine.