1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Procedure overview; advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by CarrionCrawler, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CarrionCrawler

CarrionCrawler Advice is not destructive criticism.

Heya, fellows.

I will be skinning a white feeder rat soon, and I want to stuff it with polyester and use an excelsior form; insect pins will be used to hold the pose.

I'm going to list the procedure I plan to use on the pelt directly after skinning:

1. Rub the skin liberally with salt
    2. Flesh and turn the eyes, ears, nose and lips.
    3. Salt again.
    4. Rinse the pelt in cold water with a little bit of pamolive dish soap, towel dry.
    5. Let the pelt sit in isopropyl rubbing alcohol with a few drops of glycerin for 15 minutes.
    6. Remove and rinse in cold water, towel dry.
    7. Begin stuffing and sewing the damp skin.

This rat is simply practice, but will these steps work with good results?
    I can't get my hands on denatured-alcohol, or borax so the above listed is all I can use.

Thank you in advance for any opinions, tips, and suggestions.

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

No need for glycerin. Borax can be found in the laundry detergent aisle. At a minimum dust it with baby powder and a garden powder pesticide. Don't rinse with water after the alcohol bath. It's purpose is to drive the water out of the skin. Don't put it back

elektroyu likes this.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Borax is not available in the UK, from what I have read here once.

4. CarrionCrawler

Thanks, Dux. I'll try my best to see if I can find some borax. I'm assuming the baby power is to futher dry out the skin + deodorize?
    I'll remove step 6 as well. I had read in the archives that adding a few drops of glycerin to a pickle plumps the skins of some small mammals, but if it'll effect the isopropyl, I won't add it.

5. CarrionCrawler

Yeah, some counties in the UK restrict it from being sold.

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

The baby powder is talc based. Add some garden pesticide dust and that acts as a bug deterrent. When you Hear the word DP here its a bought item but basically talc, borax and a touch of salt. It's a bug and drying agent

7. CarrionCrawler

That's great. I have a beetle problem, so that should make do until I get the official product in the future.

8. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Carrion do they have sevin dust there. It's a powder bug repellent in the home and garden sections. Mix it a 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup of baby powder and after the alcohol bath invert dust and mount right away.

9. CarrionCrawler

Some of the farther off shopping centers have it, so I need to take a trip out there and see if I can get some. I bought the baby powered and I'm still looking for borax. If I can't get any I'll just use non iodized table salt.

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Remember salt while a decadent it's not a bug repellent; )