1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Bird Taxidermy, is there a need to inject the feet?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by eringaller, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Hi there, I'm about to embark on one of my first full body mount soon. Just gathering supplies and doing some final research... With all the bird taxidermy text and videos i've read or watched, all of them make a note to inject the feet with a liquid preserving solution. And from reading various forums and posts here on Taxidermy.net i've read that Master's Blend was apparently one of the best.

BUT, I was wondering if there was a huge need for the injecting of the feet if i'm working on something the size of a Starling or Grackle, obviously something considerably smaller and without webs between their toes. All the videos and texts referred to various Waterfowl and therefore I couldn't find anything about feet for small birds.

Would really appreciate the advice for how to go about preserving the feet or if its necessary. I think i've figured everything else out so far but I don't want to just jump in unless i have some sort of idea on what to do with ALL the parts of the little guy.

Thanks ! Wish me luck!

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

You can get glycerin and alcohol and some insulin needles at the pharmacy. Mix 50/50 it will help

3. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

On real small "toothpick" legged birds you don't need to inject. I guess if you can move the leg flesh around when touching the legs, you should inject. The smaller birds seem to only have blood vessels and tendons in there which dosnt move around much when you feel them...