1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

copperhead open mouth head forms

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by duxdown, Sep 1, 2014.

1. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Looking for a open mouth copperhead form suppliers. You snake guys might give me some direction. I will be doing a hand done form with the snake in a hogs jaws striking at the ear. Got the body all figured out. But finding a head without buying the whole form is stumping me. If it was closed mouth I would carve or cast. Ideas?

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Just mold and cast the head with the mouth open. Will be your best bet.

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Kinda what I was thinking but hoped to find a head close that I could just make work. Thanks Psycho

4. psycho

No problem, wish I had one ready I'd send you one to try but it's going to be a while before I'm ready and able to release some of mine.

5. duxdown

duxdown New Member

It's going to be a little bit yet Psycho because I still have to finish tanning the boar it's in the works now. I'm thinking just skin the snake and do a open mouth freeze then mix a cup of silicone and acrylic paint and set the head in. Then later use bondo and resin to pour. That should do it.
    Don't mount many snakes up this way but I have a couple under my belt that came out pretty good.

6. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

Sounds like a lot of work to skin mount a snake? I'll stick to freeze drying them they turn out perfect if you know what your doing. Jmo

7. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Its not alot of work to skin mount a snake if you know what your doing. You cant compete with any reptile thats beenfreeze dried thats why alot of us skin mount .

8. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I've never seen ...........

I've never seen a perfect freeze dried snake mount. In fact, I have never seen a good one.

:)

Kerby...

9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2 Kerby !

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Skin mounting a snake isn't that hard. If it was tiny hey freeze dry.

11. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Agreed. I'd never send something to be freeze dried that I could skin mount myself.

12. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

They just look fake to me.

13. psycho

any snake that is over painted is going to look fake. You have more control over skin mounted animals than you do with freeze dried ones. Now, you may be trying to drum up business and that's fine but you can't bash a skin mounted snake with the hopes to gain more freeze drying business. Both can have their flaws depending who's hands they end up in. However, freeze drying would be a last resort for me on anything. ;) JMO