1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird of the Week #30

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by FF/Birdman, Sep 1, 2014.

1. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

Good morning and a big welcome to Bird Of The Week. My name Paul Szurek (FF/Birdman) and I have the pleasure of being your host for the next 2 weeks. My thanks to KMA for asking me to host this great bird forum. Since this is my third time to host I will not bore you with a long introduction but will keep it brief for any newcomers. I retired from the Arlington Fire Department after 30 years of service where I held the rank of lieutenant. I am married to my wife Carol and reside in Mansfield, Texas. I have been doing taxidermy for the past 46 years. I originally started out doing all areas of taxidermy but decided to specialize in birds in 1996. I still do and occasional fish or deer head but birds are my favorite.
    I am hoping to see all the regular posters here and welcome any newcomers. Remember this forum is for all to enjoy and share their work with others. I encourage all to take a minute and take a picture of their latest works. You can also post some of your older or favorite birds as well. Thanks to TWinter for his good job of hosting for these past 2 weeks. I will kick off BOTW #30 with a nice flushing pheasant that I just finished up a couple of days ago. I am looking forward to visiting with everybody and seeing their posts. Hope everyone has a great holiday, Paul.

[​IMG]

2. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Hi Paul, thanks for hosting! Nice pheasant! They are a pretty bird, I don't do too many though... BOTW has been slow lately, here's a hybrid I did recently, I competed with it at the Kentucky show 2 weeks ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Excellant work ryan! Very clean bird,

4. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Beautiful bird well done. I'm stealing your base idea FYI haha

5. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Paul, thanks for hosting BOTW and an excellent pheasant. My workspace is still drying, so no birds from me for the next 3 weeks.
    Ryan, your cross is fabulous, I think mallard x pintail ???

Rainer

6. FF/Birdman

Ryan, thanks for posting and sharing your beautiful hybrid with all of us. Very nice bird in a beautiful habitat. I am sure you did well at the Kentucky show.

Rai Red, good to hear from you my friend. Sorry to hear you will have no birds for 3 weeks while your workspace is drying, but thanks for stopping by.

With the holiday, we are off to a rather slow start but I trust things will pick up. Lets keep the posts coming.

7. wings II

wings II New Member

FF/Birdman, Thanks for hosting. I'm still sleepy from the Labor Day holiday, but here's one until I take some new pics :)

[​IMG]

8. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

My fav.....i need to get mine done.... :eek:

9. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

fantastic pintail Matt, like it very much

10. FF/Birdman

KMA thanks for posting your beautiful pintail. Very nice take off pose with a lot of action.

I am looking forward to some posts from many of the regulars to BOTW and our friends abroad as well. Love seeing your skills on all the small birds. Hope all are having a great and productive week. Take care, Paul.

11. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Drake Woodie
    [​IMG]

12. BK Taxidermy

BK Taxidermy New Member

Nice Cross.

Attached Files:

13. Thanks for hosting this week Paul! May I ask what the "FF" stands for in your name? Just curious.

BK...I'm partial to hooded mergansers and yours looks fantastic. Very nicely groomed. I'm seeing more and more people using those bases so I think it's time to try one myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. BK Taxidermy

BK Taxidermy New Member

Yes I really like the bases from walnut hollow

15. FF/Birdman

Things are starting to pick up. Keep the posts coming.

MallardsFowlLife, thanks for posting and sharing your work with everyone here at BOTW. Nice job and lots of action in that woodie take off pose.

Jason, glad to see you visiting and posting your comments. You were wondering what the FF in FF/Birdman stood for, and since I was an Arlington fireman for 30 years before retiring, the FF stands for Firefighter.

BK Taxidermy, Very nice hoodie. I love your bird's shape and grooming, and you finished off the whole piece with a nice Walnut Hollow base. Hoodies are a fun yet hard bird to mount, but you did the bird justice .

16. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Nice pinner Matt, my favorite puddler I think...! Nice hoodie, they are a cool bird, very clean. Thanks for the compliments as well guys...

17. FF/Birdman

Lately I have been on a run of pheasants and have not mounted any new ducks, so here is an oldie but one of my favorite. Lets see more of yours. Thanks, Paul.

[​IMG]

18. Here's one I did last year. 8)

Attached Files:

19. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Thanks for hosting Paul. Nice birds everyone! I have been busy with a bunch of stinking fish the last couple of weeks. I'm ready to get them out of here !

Mallard finally went out this week.

Attached Files:

20. A coupe Buffleheads...

Attached Files: