1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2014 - 2015 bird hunting season

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rai_red, Sep 1, 2014.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

if you knew what goes into the purchase,breeding and training of racing pigeons you would definetly not shoot them....some are more valued than your hunting dog or pet dog....besides the fact you are killing "private property"...someone owns them,trains,feeds,medicates cares for them and expects them home....not for your target practice or killing pleasure....

2. webfoot123

webfoot123 New Member

Byrdman you are right on the homers good birds with the right pedigrees are very costly and the time it takes to haul them to train and feed is costly too but I loose more birds to hawks than any other way. The reason being if you have good and well trained birds their is no reason for it to be around a dove field it should be flying to the loft or landing at the loft I don't want the bird if it is not. A bird that is out should be hauling but to get home or you will never win.If he is trained right he should come home land on landing board and trap

3. Glass eye, I love that photo with the A-5. What a work horse. Best shotgun ever made.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

web... true...there are times during a race they must go down for water and may follow doves down for a drink then get right back up.......also young birds getting their bearings may be lost for a day or 2 then return and become very good racers.....and there is really no way for an un-experienced hunter to tell between racers and commons

5. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Hunted some open water yesterday and got to try out my new scissor blind I built for the boat. Got a two man limit with my buddy Kenny. He killed his first Redhead and BB. Needless to say my blind design worked pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Looks like a lot of good memories and nice birds are being posted on here, I love looking at the pictures and reading the stories! It has been a really weird season for us this year and since the last storm we had over 2 weeks ago it has really slowed down.

[​IMG]

I got my first swan this year, just a juvie, but I was glad to get one regardless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend got his on the last day of the season, it was a great night with good friends and great memories that wont be forgotten plus the swans decoyed in like champs at 15 yards

[​IMG]

Thoose days when only the ladies want to decoy....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

nice pictures all together, love your stories and the pictures too but Adam, that was not only ladies-day, I can see some juvy drakes goldeneye there and the bluebills look great

8. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Yes Rainer you are right we got a couple young drakes haha, but so many hens!

9. Jake L

Jake L New Member

A Edwards that looks like a great time...I really like the Redhead & Scaup...I'm guessing it's a greater Scaup...we get the Lessers down here but it's hard to find the any of the drivers in full plume...congrats on a great hunt.

10. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Jake thank you that is actually a lesser, we get a mixture of both here but the majority of scaup we shoot are lessers. Have only got one greater this season so far.

11. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Ok...they're hard enough to tell the difference while holding them sometimes much less in a photograph lol...I shot 3 Lessers the day after thanksgiving & already have them skinned out. Only problem is they aren't fully plumed out yet, no pin feathers but not fully colored yet.

12. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

We had a nice driven hunt over the weekend in our hunting area, got 19 jack rabbits, 4 pheasants, 2 jays and 1 fox, not so much as in the past years before the flood but getting better

Attached Files:

13. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

the first shot of the hunt from me and the first jack, Angies`retrieve

Attached Files:

14. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

one of the four pheasants shot by me, no ring, not usual

Attached Files:

15. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

and last, a fox came out of the green between my neighbour and me, we both shot but it was like one shot, I skinned him, the pellets of my neighbour on the left side and mine on the right side, the wirehair of my friend did the retrieve

Attached Files:

16. JimL

JimL Member

Rainer, Thanks for again posting pictures of the beautiful red dog Angie. It helps ease the pain of losing my Bristol to cancer last week. Jim

17. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Cool pictures rainer. Sounds like that fox didn't stand a chance.

18. wings II

wings II New Member

Rainer - what a beautiful mixed bag hunt!! I got your PM but I'm working to get birds out for the Christmas rush right now - all systems are go and I've got some calls in to obtain a mottled and a black duck for you.. I will call you as soon as It settles down :)

19. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Booked a late trip with crane wreckers in Blackwell ok. Holy smokes! Brian and monte have got it together. First set up was on a field that had probably 20,000+ cranes on it yesterday. They just didn't want to be there.

[​IMG]

At 8 Brian pulled the plug and we moved the whole rig to a waterhole.
    [​IMG]

Steadily the geese, mallards, and a few cranes came in. Tiny little cackler.
    [​IMG]

We were supposed to go hunt a friends mallard hole that was holding hundreds of mallards at 1 but decided to stick it out. Glad we did. Finished up limits of cranes and a good pile of geese and mallards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The noisy cricket got it done.
    [​IMG]

Brian even asked to shoot it and smoked a big crane. Which wasn't to hard considering everything was landing in the stuffers at 20 yards.
    [​IMG]

Going again in the am and plan on getting some good pics of the setup.

If you are looking for a dedicated crane outfit, I highly recommend crane wreckers.

20. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Unusually mild December has us with open water later than usual. Great weekend, lots of ducks! Hoping it stays open for one more weekend![​IMG]