1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2014 - 2015 bird hunting season

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rai_red, Sep 1, 2014.

1. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    What's the green band on that one? Replacement for collars?

2. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

They call them tarsus bands. From what I gather it is to replace the collars. They have been putting them on the Canada's around town for a few years now. They have done white ones, green ones, and blue ones. I think its different locations around town.

3. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I've got my friends from holland over for a 10 day grinder. Stuffs gonna die.

We're going to cover more geography in state than their country......

They brought me some proper headwear...
    [​IMG]

Martijns first bird was a bull can.
    [​IMG]

Followed by some sprigs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And smiles.
    [​IMG]

Nice mix of birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Got everybody's grease levels up to full!!
    [​IMG]

They are here through the. 23rd. 10 days of grinding.

Headed south this morning. Outside of gwt, We didn't see big numbers put they decoyed like champs.

We had 200+ gwt land in the decs in the first 15 min but held out for big ducks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun made it easy to pick drakes. It took me a day to teach em how to pick em.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

My next trip will have to be in texas.

6. Me too! They kill more birds in 10 days than I've killed in my lifetime of hunting.

7. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

brazosboyt your killing me!!! :'( them ringers for some dumb reason are one of my favorite birds and to think you guys can get them in full plumage!!

I so wish I could get a couple of them studs to mount someday . ;)

8. I've lived in Texas my whole life and I've never had a hunt like Brazos... He has some good spots and I know he works hard to keep, manage, and maintain them. That being said, what we do shoot is usually plumed out.

Afthunt, if I get a chance and you want it I'll pop a Ringer for you next weekend ;)

9. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

ntxwaterfowl That would be great
    Thanks

10. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Gottem out to a property in west tx. This pond was built 2 years ago and finally has enough musk grass to attract the birds.
    This was out first hunt. Didn't take long to shoot 24. We weren't picky. Brown= down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Lot of days planting in the 100 degree heat in July/August.

The biggest things that impacts our success is the ability to control the hunting pressure. 2/3 spots we hunted this week were hunted for the first time this season. We have the roosts on the property and have control of the hunting pressure. Very few of our properties get hunted more than 2x per season. There's not a piece of water in the county over 2 acres that isn't getting pounded. The ducks seek the shelter of our properties.

By the way- we passed about 100 ringers landing in the decs because I hate cleaning them. Those two were picked specifically for a friend that wanted them for a mount. They were killer birds!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. I agree about pressure, unfourtunatley I only have one piece of private land to hunt and other groups hunt it as well. We have to have new flights to stay in birds and this year we haven't had them. We usually pass the ringers as well but we see a ton of them.

By the way I really like that big brown duck on the left, they don't fly so well but they sure taste good :D

13. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

as usual Todd, beautiful hunting pics and stunning ringers

14. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

It took a 3" #2 to bring it down but I got it done.

Attached Files:

15. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Very cool, rail?

16. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I am thinking snipe. Where you get it glass eye?

17. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Yep, Snipe. Got it in the Sutter Butte Sink area near Sacramento.

18. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Nice, saw several in Florida along with quite a few Purple Gullinule. Nothing in season though.

19. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Took em out west of llano and made our first hunt on a pond we built last year. Has good grass now and is holding birds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burned 24 in about 15 minutes. If it was brown, it was down.
    [​IMG]

20. Finally made the 6 hour trip to hunt the coast. Got my Redheads! My Father-In-Law and Wife and I took a few down, they still were not 100% colored out but we got one that was 98% and a couple in the 90's :D
    [​IMG]