1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gemsbok and pronghorn critiques

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Cathy, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Here are my first pronghorn and first gemsbok (second African antelope.) Very little experience with horned animals. Critiques welcomed. Should I do anything to the gemsbok horns?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

They both look great.. I would airbrush away the scars on the mouth and under the ear on the gemsbok though... Also the ear butts on the gemsbok look like they may need to be a little closer to the horns to me

3. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    It looks like your hair patterns might be a little off centered on the pronghorns neck

4. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    X2 on airbrushing the scars. Nice work, 99% of customers would be thrilled with those

5. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

ok I'll paint them, thank you all.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Ear shape is off, Gemsbok have a very distinct shape to their ears. Yours look like a deer. The ear butt is too far back on the skull.

[​IMG]

Earbutt placement

[​IMG]

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Like Jerry said ears shape is off. Another point to pay attention is that the V notch must be closed. Right Jerry. Another thing that sticks out to me and it might be the angle of the pic, but the mouth line looks like it angles down towards the back making the chin look off also. Most Gemsbok liners on the market are not correct and make the ear well look like yours. Plus unless u find a liner that is flexible enough to get threw the smaller part of the ear it's almost impossible to get a rigid liner in without ripping the ear to hell. On the antelope I like to place the ears almost vertical and facing outwards. And the black patch looks like it could go a bit further up on the back of the jaw rather than on the neck.

8. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Those were the kinds of details I was hoping someone would show me, thanks, Folks. Guess I won't use those liners if I ever get the chance to do another one!

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

do nothing to the gemsbok horns....as in the photo jerry provided, the natural state is best..

10. Riddler

Riddler Member

On your antelope, get some good reference that shows the nose. The septum should be closed.

11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    How in the world can you tell that from the 2 pics?

12. Riddler

Riddler Member

I can tell that because there is black showing between the lip line and the front corners of the nostrils!

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Come on now Riddler, the septum is inside the nose not at the front. I know what your talking about but it's not the septum.

14. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I know what you are talking about as well but I could show you many pics of that area where it in not "hair to hair". I feel that is one of those taxidermy "rules" that people use that isn't always correct. IMO.

15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Agree, the hair to hair idea on pronghorn isn't a solid rule.

16. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I used reference and I felt it looked right. Glad for the agreements.