1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning a Beaver... Help!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AngelHeller, Sep 2, 2014.

1. AngelHeller

AngelHeller New Member

I know a retired master trapper who instructed me on how to tan a beaver hide and I just want to make sure I did it right. I fleshed the beaver and then washed in Dawn dish detergent, after which I stretched it on a homemade stretcher and then coated it with tanning paste. I left it outside for a couple of days and have now started to scrape the dried solution off. The hide is so hard/stiff...

My question is should I apply the tanning solution again? Or what?

I read the instructions on the solution and it says I need to apply the paste twice and then soak the hide in borax water. What do you all think?

ALSO... This is my first time tanning anything if you can't tell.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Why not follow the instructions?

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Yep follow them but FYI that's not a real tan. And I doubt it will ever be soft

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I know several professional "master" trappers and I wouldn't let any of them tan a hide for me. One has nothing to do with the other. I've not heard of a brush on tan that doesn't require pickling among other steps that were omitted. There are tutorials on this forum and a lot of info from "master" tanners that can help you tan a hide correctly. Take the time to search the archives and do some reading on the subject.

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2 what MLP said !