1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Elmo45, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Elmo45

Elmo45 New Member

Hello all
    I have always enjoyed seeing finished taxidermy throughout my life. Recently due to my position in life and my career I have the time for a hobby. After the last 6 months of arguing with myself I have realized every argument ends with taxidermy and my fascination with it. So I have decided to go with something I feel passion about yep taxidermy lol. I now have the time, resources, and room to do it. So I guess in a long winded way I am asking for any advice on how to get started. Ie: equipment needed for beginner, what animals to start with. So if anyone can give advice please it would be greatly appreciated.
    Ty in advance
    Terry D.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Buy Rick Carter's Whitetail A-Z DVD.

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

If you have the money, take one-on-one classes with respected taxidermists in each field. You will be years ahead of trying to watch videos and trying to teach yourself. If money is tight, videos will work. In that case, you just need to be prepared to spend a lot more time doing trial and error.

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Congrats Elmo, If time and money are not an issue then I would definitely go to a reputable taxidermy school and also buy videos. You are always going to have questions in the beginning, well at least I did. Most classes are two weeks duration and your not going to retain everything that is taught to you by the time next season rolls around. Just little things here and there can be remembered by awatching a good video. Once in a while I throw one in while I'm working just for something to listen to. Good resources, good instruction, and good reference photos. The school should get you started as far as basic shop tools and you will know what you need to buy when you leave there. Best of luck to you. Whatever route you decide to go do not get discouraged, everyone starts somewhere.

5. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

One on one is the way to go. You damn sure can't learn much of anything in two weeks.
    Plenty of good taxidermists on here that would be willing to help.

Where do you live?

6. One on one classes is the way to go, if you are in a class with a group someone is not going to get the needed instruction. Join your state association it is a great way to start. Someone locally in your state may be willing to help you get started. Videos are great, bit these books show you more than one way to work on the mount.
    http://www.breakthroughmagazine.com/productList.asp?category=Instructional+Books+and+Manuals

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

The school I attended was one on one instruction, 10 weeks; 2 weeks per category/field. Your not going to be a master by any means no matter where you go but you will receive the foundation and techniques to continue to build on.