1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sandhill help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, Sep 4, 2014.

1. So I will be doing my second Sandhill crane ever soon (first was a rug). This is a full mount in a dancing pose....
    Both feet will be secured to a strong base and submerged so once it's there they will be solid...

It's fleshed and ready, has been awhile... My supplies are in, have been for awhile....
    Ever have that one of the year ya just can't get motivated to try? It's this and a brocket deer. (Same customer) Lord love him he's my best but he brings this TN country girl been doing it a year some doozy surprises. Anyway here I set...

My questions are, do I pull the tendons just like a turkey ( manhandle with pliers, cuss and cry alot ) or is there a simpler way?
    What size threaded rods for the legs?

AND THE WINGS... My main concern, open in a standing dancing pose.... What size wire will last and work good? How do I secure it with good strength in the form?

I've done a turkey strutting but no big geese, flying, etc.

I don't back down and I'm sure I can do this but I just hope to have decent answer ideas before I thaw it and get in trouble.

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I have never pulled tendons on any bird. I've only done one sandhill and what I did with the legs was run a small wire (12ga) down them to open the channel up. I put the wire in my drill and let it help me. Then, I removed the first wire and used a larger gauge wire as my permanent wire. I can't remember for sure what size I used, but 8ga stands out in my mind...just use the largest one you can get in the leg without tearing it up. I don't use threaded rods as they are too easy to break and you really can't bend them into natural leg positions without fear of breaking them.

For open wings on very large birds, I do a two wire process. I wire the entire wing with a lighter gauge wire (usually 12ga) because it is easy to get all the way through the wing and is flexible enough to bend into a natural position without tearing the wing all to pieces. Once I have the wings wired with 12ga and bent pretty close to their final position, I run a heavy wire 6 or 8ga the length of the humerus with enough extra to run through the body and secure. I wrap that heavy wire to the humerus with electrical tape. When you put the bird together, you run the small wire and large wire into the same hole in the body. Bend them over and secure them back into the foam. This method allows you to get a nice wing shape while the heavy wire gives you support at the humerus.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

pull tendons and use 6ga in legs...you need to get them out anyway or they will stink and rot,bleed oils.....drill 1-1/4 inch holes in form put a tight loop on wire and bondo in one at a time....same wings but 10 GA...neck use a 10 and a 12 (trachea)same as jp bwrap wires to bone with tape then wrap with cotton batt to shape.....this way you can get all your bends ahead of time and wires cut to length....no struggling to run wires thru and cinch back in.....do wings and neck same way

4. byrdman

oh and don't use threaded rod it wont slide in good and can break with too many bends

5. byrdman

pull the tendons and take a whiff....I pull them from anything mallard size on up

6. Thank you all! I pull tendons on my turkeys so I just assumed I would on this as well. Ill keep y'all posted. I tear tendons alot getting them out on turkeys. Is there a trick to it I've missed or just pull?

7. byrdman

are you pulling from the bottom? cut a slit in foot pad and work them out one at a time then cut them off...make sure drumstick is skun all the way down over ankle jt

8. I skin to the feather line on all and then cut the middle pad of the foot open and pull. Get as many as I can that way and go to the top.

9. byrdman

the tendon "inside" of the leg is the problem...and the surrounding fluid....pull them and clean out the channel