1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting caribou antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IAtaxi, Sep 8, 2014.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Ok I'm tired of fighting these things. I've done a advanced search on here. I have blood stained blochy antlers to paint and stain. So my question....I read to use Kilz white latex primer. Does this come in spry cans or are you guys painting it on with brushes? Any tips for paint or stain would be great.

Thanks for your time!

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I usually mix alittle off white and a hint of yellow ochre to create a good base color. Then once that dries, you can come in with an acrylic wash of your choice to match the color you are after. Raw umber and burnt umber are good choices. I mix alittle windex in to create that wash.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I agree with this....KILZ is overkill. It's like blending a fish before you start painting it.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

x2. That is exactly how I do it. Sometimes you have to use a burner before painting to burn off all those little strips and velvet hairs before you paint.

5. jk

jk Active Member

James, good idea with the burner. I have sanded these down and that was a pain, burner would work better. I spray paint mine with a light almond or bone color to get a consistent base and then I apply a stain wash over them. Once satisfied with color, I spray with Krylon mat finish and done.