1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carl E. Akeley Memorial Stone Monument

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by John Janelli, Sep 12, 2014.

1. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

This is too cool, I sent mine in today!

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I AM really shocked if this IS the number of taxidermist that have put up a donation for this.
    Truly shocked. I would have bet this would have 80 in 2 days.
    :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Look at the list and tell my that young taxidermist even know who Akeley was and what he means to the ones on the list.
    This is going to be a generation thing.....that's sad, look at the list, Mostly Longtimers and Oldtimers...

MixedupMel likes this.

3. B Jones

I read about Akeley when I was a young boy Dennis, I was amazed by his travels to Africa then and I am still today. Most don't even know who he is or what he did for the art of taxidermy. What an amazing person.

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

John I will be sending a donation shortly! I think this is a wonderful idea and a testament to our industry and it's rich history. I've read African obsession, now looking to read in brightest africa. Slowly putting the funds ytogether for this....

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Thank you so much Ryan. And thank you to everyone else who is making this monumental testament from our industry to Carl Akeley possible.

MixedupMel likes this.
  6. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

We are over 20% of the way to our goal, but we still need much more participation. If you haven't donated already, please consider becoming a part of this important tribute. $100 from YOU will help to create this permanent monument to the "Father of Modern Taxidermy," which will outlast all of our lifetimes.

Current donor list:
    Donor #001 is Mr. Joe Kish of Texas
    Donor #002 is Mr. Ken Edwards of Georgia
    Donor #003 is Mr. Phil Soucy of Montana
    Donor #004 is Mr. Richard Christoforo of Massachusetts
    Donor #005 is Ms. Lola Haynes and Family of Missouri
    Donor #006 is Ms. Michelle Burkholder of Pennsylvania
    Donor #007 is Mr. Rick and Nickie Carter of Georgia
    Donor #008 is Mr. Dennis Harris of Michigan
    Donor #009 is Mr. Kevin Libby of Nevada
    Donor #010 is Woodside Granite Ind., Inc., of New York
    Donor #011 is Mr. James Marsico of Wyoming
    Donor #012 is Mr. Frank and Chris Twardowski of Idaho
    Donor #013 is Mr. Dan Wayne of Missouri
    Donor #014 is Mr. Steve Quinn - American Museum of Natural History
    Donor #015 is Mr. Tim McLagan of Oregon
    Donor #016 is Mr. George Dante of New Jersey
    Donor #016 is Mr. Bradley Jones
    Donor #017 is Misters Richard P. Benedict Sr. & Jr. of New York

MixedupMel likes this.
  7. I haven't be on taxinet in a while, just found this post today. donation will be in by weeks end.

Matt

MixedupMel likes this.
  8. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    "Ever since the evolution and acceptance of the Akeley method, sculpting has been the discipline of the art. Carl Akeley never patented his technique; he gave it freely to the art and passed it on to all who had the desire and energy to learn it."

Joe Kish
    Author - The Jonas Techinque vol. I and II

MixedupMel likes this.
  9. B Jones

I gave what I could, I wish I could give way more as I see this as a great opportunity to honor an unselfish man who we all owe so much too. If I had the money it would be done today. Please everyone give what you can for this Memorial, it is worth every penny.

MixedupMel likes this.
  10. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I would like to say thank you to the UTA for their generous donation to a great cause. I would also like to thank Carolina Fur Dressing and Rick Morgan family and everyone else !

MixedupMel likes this.
  11. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

The United Taxidermist Association Board has voted to give $500 toward the Akeley Memorial and on behalf of the Town of Clarendon and the Clarendon Historical Society I would like to thank this wonderful organization for stepping up and giving Carl Akeley the recognition he deserves.

My hope is that this will be the catalyst to get us to our goal and my hope is to be able to install this before Carl Akeley's birthday!! We are planning an event to celebrate again and this would be the main attraction.

Thank You to all who have promoted and donated to this so far. This will be here long after we are all gone and people will be amazed at the effect he had on generations long after he departed this earth.

Melissa Ierlan- President Clarendon Historical Society

MixedupMel likes this.
  12. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    “The notion that taxidermy was not a worthy enterprise touched him, compelling him to transform it into something of which he could be justly proud.”

Penelope Bodry Sanders 1991 (author of 'African Obsession – The Life and Legacy of Carl Akeley')

MixedupMel likes this.

13. I just posted about him today on f-book. I have known about him since a kiddo. If someone doesn't know who he was and are in taxidermy that's very sad. Same as being an American and not knowing who George Washington was. I litterally just got on this site for the second time in the past year and a half today. Being admin to a dozen taxidermy groups on f-book has taken a toll on my internet time. Checks in the mail, and honored to contribute.

MixedupMel likes this.
  14. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    "Such a spirit as Carl Akeley's does not often appear in this world. He had the rare quality so seldom understood, not appreciated because it was so unusual of a complete devotion to the art of taxidermy. It was his god."

William R. Leigh - flat artist personally hired by Carl Akeley to paint the diorama backgrounds on location and then in African Hall.

MixedupMel likes this.
  15. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

I'm sending a donation via Paypal

MixedupMel likes this.
  16. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    The Clarendon Historical Society has just informed us that with current donations, they are but a $100.00 away from the half way mark. If every state taxidermy association, supplier, tanner and manufacturer would each send in just $100.00, the goal would be achieved all the sooner for this most admirable project. Like Akeley would say, "...we're not loosing steam, just gaining momentum."

MixedupMel likes this.
  17. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

John,
    That was well said. Only people with a lot of "hot air" lose steam!! We are just getting started. This will become a reality because of the dedication of people who know how important it is to have this monument as a testament to Carl Akeley for generations to come.
    Melissa

MixedupMel likes this.
  18. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

44,000 members all getting free info here, selling here, buying here, FOR FREE. and 40 some people have donated.
    I CHALLENGE 400 people -1 % here to send in VIA PAYPAL a measly $10.00 for enjoying the FREE STUFF.

Free forum for selling and making money! Free Information that would cost you plenty to buy ! Free to buyers, a free place to look for what you may need.
    and 40,000 people can't raise the cost for this.

I am sending in another donation to make up for some losers here ... if Akeley hadn't done for this industry what he did taxidermy would not be what it is today.

Some wonder why I don't come on here much or post..This site has become full of people ( 90% ) that I have nothing in common with as a professional taxidermist.

I shows me it is a quid pro quo world..look it up...except when people on here ask for information, sell and make money here.

MixedupMel likes this.
  19. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    "Carl Akeley is the man who transformed the profession of taxidermy into the fine art of animal sculpture."
    American Museum of Natural History - 1931

Please see the following film clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxTKdFaeS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xNUrA0TZM

MixedupMel likes this.
  20. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

I just want to take the time to thank everyone who has donated to this thus far. I am so excited for the day when we can have the ceremony to dedicate this long overdue tribute to such a talented man.
    Our latest donors from Breakthrough Magazine and personal donations from Larry and Kathy Blomquist. We are picking up steam.
    Melissa
    town of clarendon historian

MixedupMel likes this.