1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carl E. Akeley Memorial Stone Monument

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by John Janelli, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, John! What a great Christmas present! You have spearheaded this project from a dream to fruition. Thank you for all you have done to permanently honor this icon of our industry.

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    The fruition of your collective donations is now here for you to see. Like the many facets of a cut diamond, this is the backside of the Akeley Memorial Stone as it actually appears now. Finally, a life that has been totally dedicated to sculpture taxidermy will be acknowledged and recognized for all time to come, that of Carl Ethan Akeley.
    You may be certain that the International Taxidermy Industry will also be celebrated on that very same day, May 19 which is just around the corner for when the unveiling ceremonies take place in Clarendon, NY.

[​IMG]

MixedupMel likes this.

3. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

John and All,
    Due to the addition of this wonderful collage to the Akeley Monument, we will be delayed in installing the brick walk way that will identify any donor that made a contribution of $100 or more. This beautiful work added another $2,000 to the project. I took the liberty of jumping at the opportunityto do this as it would not be possible once the stone was set.
    We will continue to collect donations and strive to complete the walk way as soon as possible.
    THANK YOU everyone who supported this, it truly was a labor of love!
    Melissa Ierlan

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Just a few more weeks to the unveiling! The Clarendon Historical Society is as excited about this as we all are, no doubt about that. For those of you who plan on joining us on May 19, we're getting together at 5:00 PM/EST at the Clarendon Historical Society, located at:

16426 - Fourth Section Rd., Holley, NY 14470

The physical address to the cemetery, where the unveiling will begin at 7:00 PM/EST is:
    4047 -Holley Byron Rd., Holley, NY 14470

Incidentally, Melissa has indeed labored as hard for this occasion, above and beyond what her normal job description calls for. Several people, as in non-taxidermists, who have never before imagined the scope of Carl Akeley and or his achievements, have made some incredibly generous donations because of her. They cannot wait to meet and greet the taxidermists who have been so inspired by one of the grandest masters ever, Carl Ethan Akeley.
    See you at the unveiling!!

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Many of us have seen the hit movie "Revenant" - The word means; One that returns after death or a long absence. How fitting and proper it is to refer to Carl Akeley with what will be unveiled for him, from us, tomorrow in Clarendon, as our industry's revenant.

See you on the hill!

MixedupMel likes this.
  6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I hope it went well John. There wasn't as much hoopla as I thought there might be on this event. The two museums holding most of what Akeley mounted did recognize the birthday:
    Both the AMNH https://www.instagram.com/p/BFl1s7JwBEl/?taken-by=amnh
    and the Field Museum http://thebrainscoop.tumblr.com/post/144610233251/happy-152nd-birthday-carl-akeley-on-this-day-in

I only care for four specimens attributed to old Carl - all obtained on exchange from the FMNH many years back.
    https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/7a7f79ca-0da7-4d13-99cc-0f347d9fe6ff
    https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/12facb28-9a76-4a85-877b-61a18beed4e1
    https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/0b99db0f-ee0a-44bc-a609-1109babe711b
    https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/0195f2f2-9e64-4f78-9fbc-ee8bd58bd580

7. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    We didn't do it for "hoopla", we did it for Carl Akeley. And the incredible turn out was more emotional than any museum is allowed to be. God bless Taxidermy. Net forever!

MixedupMel likes this.
  8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The photos I saw on facebook show a GREAT memorial. Very nice.

MixedupMel likes this.
  9. PA

PA Well-Known Member

John, I think you misunderstand my definition of Hoopla. I interpret the word to mean a great celebration. Various on-line definitions include "excitement and fervor" "bustling excitement or activity; commotion; hullabaloo; to-do, sensational publicity; ballyhoo".

I am surprised neither the FMNH or the AMNH didn't have someone there covering the story or at least posting it by today on their sites. I saw no pictures of it anywhere.

10. It was an awesome tribute! I was amazed at how many people were there and the stone, well... pictures don't do it justice. It is a gorgeous piece of art and history.

If you didn't make it there you really missed out. Anyone, if you ever have the opportunity to go see it, please do! :)

MixedupMel likes this.
  11. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Stephen, every person in every museum department that helped us in any way was duly noted and recognized by yours truly at the podium last Thursday evening. Their assistance and effort was truly overwhelming at times. They spared no resources in giving us with open arms whatever we requested without any costs whatsoever to the CHS or myself. But as they know, the story of Carl Akeley doesn't end with his memorial stone in Clarendon. The important thing is now, because of all the names you see listed in the donor section, more and more people will learn about Akeley than probably ever before. I promise you that every name, accolade and historical piece of information will forever be archived in all the institutions that helped us in so many different ways, so that years from now and generations beyond our own will be able research what we in 2016 thought enough about Carl Akeley to do for his legacy and our heritage as taxidermists. Next stop - Democratic Republic of the Congo!

MixedupMel likes this.
  12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

It was my honor to have lived around the corner from his birthplace for all those years, and it was an exceptional honor to be among my fellow taxidermists and neighbors for this event. John, I cant say enough, how well you did. Im thankful for your diligence in making this happen, and as well, for Ken Edwards quiet work seemingly behind the scenes. Awesome!

MixedupMel likes this.
  13. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Today, one of the employees (19 year old Gerritt) of the Bridgeton Memorial Co., who imported, cut, engraved and placed the Akeley stone, took the long ride from Clarendon to see the Akeley African Hall. Unfortunately, after ending up in the Bronx, he was late and the AMNH is about to close for the day. Melissa said that he was so inspired by everything that went on behind the scenes all this while, that he just had to take the trip to see the grandeur of Carl Akeley's work. That's what our industry does to people!

MixedupMel likes this.
  14. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

I am so pleased every time I go to the Hillside Cemetery in Clarendon NY and see that beautiful monument standing out for all the world to see! I have many little helpers who keep the geraniums watered and it looks as wonderful today as the day we unveiled it.
    I wanted to share this special momento that I received in the mail today from Craig lewis and the UTA. To say the least I am very humbled and most honored to get this. I have met some of the most wonderful people in the last three years and I see the passion that each and every one of them has for taxidermy and the reverence for the Master Carl Akeley!!

Attached Files:

MixedupMel likes this.
  15. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

MixedupMel and Micah Howards like this.