1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I SMELL ….!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ofearthandbone, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

The past 3 days I have worked full time in a studio skinning and fleshing bear and bobcats….I can't get the smell off of me. I scrub with good soap, scented washes, lots of scented oil but I keep smelling like the studio. Any tips? I was thinking of a baking soda and vinegar wash.

2. borax and dawn soap or Clorox and then dawn then good long shower

3. ofearthandbone

Clorax as in the bleach?

4. yeap, you will smell like a pool thats why a good long shower will help

5. ofearthandbone

how much ratio is the bleach-water?

6. Might be the wrong thing to do but I put a cap full in the palm of my hand and scrub up to the elbow. If you have a cut it will burn. Then again us country boys aren't to bright

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Your body is telling you something and you aren't listening. PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES. Many of our bodies react the same way. With me, it's a damned beaver. If I mess with one without gloves, I will TASTE that nasty SOB for days after. When I walk into the shop for ANY taxidermy work, I glove up. When I leave, they get peeled into the trash. I might use a dozen pairs a day, but I don't stink like dead things.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I concur George. Always wear rubber/latex gloves for everything.

9. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

Don't tell anyone, but I go to the neighborhood pool and sit in the hot tub for awhile.

10. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

What George and lowT said !! Allways wear them !!

11. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Wear an apron and have some dedicated sets of clothes for doing taxidermy in.

Hydrogen peroxide?

12. ofearthandbone

I abs…wear long gloves and a vinyl apron. I have been wearing a bandana with my hair tucked in too. Maybe it was the 2 bear I was skinning/fleshing the first couple days. So oily. Yesterday wasn't to bad though, just a couple bobcats.
    When I clean bear skulls I smell gamey wet dog for a week. Cold air is coming so is long sleeves and pants so this should help with the oils getting on me. I don't mind so much but my husband isn't into the dead animal smell so its mostly for him.
    I do very much like the spa soak idea... Maybe this will inspire my husband to build one for me.
    Thanks
    for the advise!

13. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Yeah Lol I'm fortunate my hubby doesn't mind the smells, dermestid beetles, and any other grossness I bring to the homestead.

Stinkiest animal imo was a friend's coyote. That dog smell just bothers me.

14. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Some critters just stink plain and simple. One thing I have found that helps cut it best of all is citrus go-jo. Just cuts right through everything but skunk for me.

15. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Another idea is a skunk smell removal solution. Take a spray bottle and mix equal amounts of water, peroxide, baking soda, and dawn soap. May need to google the exact recipe. Worked for my shop.

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

LOL, but so true. Hope you are doing good George.

17. ofearthandbone

What is it with Dawn soap? Isee most of the folk here use it. Does it have something that most other detergent doesn't? Someone mentioned a citrus product…I wonder if rubbing a lemon wedge on my skin would work. Besides, lemon juice is great for the skin and a natural lightener for those who like an alabaster completion. Maybe I will try that with a baking soda scrub. Thanks for all the recommendations. I haven't noticed much of a smell since doing the 2 bear. I think the oil must have really got into my skin.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

One other suggestion other than the gloves is that if you are going to work with something especially smelly, rub some hand lotion on your hands and forearms before so they are less absorbent.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Like George said.

Go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy the blue nitrile gloves and use them religiously for the dirty work. They are really cheap if you think about it. If you do get smell on you by ignoring George's good advise then squirt some soft scrub with bleach into your hands and rub them up. It will remove most of the smell but your hands are going to be a little raw for a day or so if you got hands like a lady. Me, I wouldn't notice my meathooks are pretty seasoned.

20. Ive skinned just about everything . Try using soap and stop hugging the dead critters .. Couldn't resist that . sorry just cant understand how you have the smell stuck to you . Ever skinned a dozen hogs at 90 deg ? they stink and that's being kind .