1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet European

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello everyone.... I was wanting to do a European mount with a velvet buck. What's the best way to go about this? I've heard it's best to saw the antlers off, otherwise the velvet will fall off while cooking the meat off the skull... Is that true? Any tips will be great. Thanks

2. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I use artificial skulls for mine unless the customer does the caping and some fleshing, because it just isn't cost effective for me to do them for what people are willing to pay. There are two artificial options and you can get them both at McKenzie and other places. First is the skull plate option where you have a notch in the skull to accept the skull plate of the deer, then epoxy and paint. Second is a pedicle type where you would cut each antler off at the pedicles, drill slightly undersized holes to accept the threaded lugs on the artificial skull and thread them on.

If you were wanting to boil them you could try to protect the velvet by maybe wrapping aluminum foil around the antlers and try not to submerge the antler burrs. I am sure that would turn out ok, but you may want to get a few opinions on what others do when boiling them as I have not done that before on velvet bucks. Just thought I read somewhere about using the foil. We don't get many velvet bucks harvested around here, at least I don't...mainly they get brought in from vehicle accidents and they are pretty messed up anyways and usually just get antler mounts done.

3. I have done a few velvet skull mounts. The best way i have found is to saw the horns off, boil skull and treat the horns with velvet tan. Then i reatach the horns with a heavy gauge wire and a little apoxy. I use velvet tan and depending on how soft or hard the horns are, i either brush the tan on the velvet or i inject the tan into the veins in the horns makeing sure to get all the blood out if the horns are real soft, and then also brush the tan on the velvet. If the horns are very flexible make sure you inject every vein to get all the blood out or you will have a stench of a dead animal on the horns when it dries and the velvet will decay due to the blood left inside. Before injecting, slit the tips of each tine to allow for the blood to come out, once the fluid turns clear as you inject, you will know you have all the blood out. OH, and make sure you take measurements of the spread and positioning of the horns before you cutt them off so you can put them back on in the right way too!
    hope this helps,
    jason

4. Inject the veins from the base of the horns so the fluid goes out the tips of the tines! Sorry, forgot to put that in there.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Additionally, you can use a sharpie or scribe a little line before you saw them off to know exactly where they go when reinstalling them. And like joiners said, flush the tan till no blood comes out, paint the velvet with it, and let gang upside down over a rod or something until they are dried out. Can wash with soapy water at that time.

6. mcking

mcking Member

Thanks guys!!! i appreciate the tips very much.... i was figuring i was gonna have to saw them antlers off,, ugh!! i appreciate it much guys,, take care!