1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not another pricing thread

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Sep 16, 2014.

1. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

You know taxidermist really are the DUMBEST business people on the PLANET.Kinda funny all the people in the world getting paid MORE per hour to sit around doing NOTHING, than a taxidermist doing HANDS ON WORK.Amazing all the people texting on there phones,playing on facebook,bringing a dog to work and turning it into a doggie daycare while at a JOB and STILL GETTING PAID.Yet the taxidermist is doing a hands on job is making pennies ::) I charge $700 a deer and I wouldn't touch it for LESS.They can go somewhere else if they don't like the price.You'll be amazed at some of the people willing to pay a high price to have their trophy mounted.They drive cars that look like they won't go another mile.Live in pretty much a dump and they're willing to pay a high price to have a mount done.You won't get it unless you don't ASK for it.

2. Living at home with your mother and father, having a shop in the same location as the home, no car payment, no rent, no shop rent, no utilities. Yep you can charge that much if you one of two deer than you did good.

3. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I never have understood why it is anyone's business what others charge. Worry about YOURSELF...period. If someone gets 200$ for something and gets 100 animals and another charges 1000$ and gets two a year, who cares. If you are happy with what you are making or getting in as yearly work great but don't tell me that I am living wrong if I dare have a different opinion. Some people are happy driving a 20 year old truck and others trade theirs in every other year. Some people like doing taxidermy part time and others 70hr weeks. If you are happy with your OWN situation then you are doing business right. If you are too worried about the guy's shop down the road and how he runs HIS business then you need to rethink things....

As far as the economic side of this discussion, it falls on simple supply and demand. Every area is totally different than another yet some like to believe that there is some universal business plan all should follow... ::)

4. TomR

TomR New Member

Duxrus,

Well said!!

5. Now dux oh boy simmer down. Your're trying to let the air out of his balloon. Let him be, the balloon will explode anyways due to over inflation.

Bring you a$$ to the bar and have a drink. ;D ;D ;D

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ditto

7. Apples to apples Oranges to orange. Maybe the lack of having to be responsible also helps dictate what one can charge.

8. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

For the record, my post wasn't aimed at any individual but at the general group of "they know best" folks wanting to think for others and recreate the definition of competition.

9. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

duxrus, I thought your post was spot on and should be used everytime this horse rears it's head.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Amen!

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

X2!

12. I don't care what any other taxidermist in my area is charging. I know what my expenses are and what I need to charge per hour for shop time. You owe no one an explanation of why you are trying to make a living. It's a funny thing with taxidermists, we are constantly having to defend what we charge. For some reason, we, as taxidermists, are not allowed to make a good living. The hardest thing to do in the whole equation is to figure out what your hourly shop rate is, and everyone's will be different depending on overhead and your local economy. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what the guy down the street charges, you need to charge what it takes to make a "good" living. Work hard, live well,and apologize to no one for what you have earned.

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

These are words I've said over the years almost to the letter. Run your business, focus on your customers and their pieces. If you want to do taxidermy cheap then more power to you, it's no one else's business but your own.

14. Charge whatever you want but don't in the next post explain to everyone how you cannot make a living doing taxidermy as a business.

15. tom k

tom k New Member

Very well said Duxrus

16. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Why even say this ? Every profession on this planet includes people with zero business sense and are doomed for failure. Not real sure I have ever read anyone pointing the finger at other taxidermists because their business isn't making it...other than the one's with the heavy price lists complaining about the neighbors "under cutting them". Did anyone say that some couldn't price themselves out of business ? Charging too little could bankrupt you just as fast as overcharging in an area. Simple economics 101. If you aren't paying your bills because you can't do the business math and charging way below what the market would allow in your area then yes that is their fault. On the flip side one could price themselves right out of existence by charging twice as much as others if their workload disappears. There is no Golden rule to how to price other than doing the math on YOUR situation. When it all comes down to profit margins I am sure there are just as many low priced guys doing just as well as the higher end shops. It is a numbers game, nothing less, nothing more.

If Mr. Joe charges 200$ for mounting a widget and gets in 300 a year = 60,000

If Mr. Blow charges 400$ and gets in 75 = 30,000

What is Mr. Joe works out of his garage, has done his homework on finding materials at a better price than Mr. Blow ?

What if Mr. Joe is a marketing wizard going to local banquets, hunting shows, has a super website, uses Facebook, etc....

What if Mr. Joe is content living in a 2,500 sq foot house and not eating caviar every Friday night ?

What if Mr. Joe lives off of what he makes and understands how to make a budget ?

Now what if Mr. Blow was able to bring in out of area work and match the number of jobs that Mr. Joe was getting ? Good for him....BUT

What if Mr. Joe just doesn't give a rat's behind if he could possibly raise his prices if HE is happy with his profit margin and life style along with just loving what he does ?

How hard is that to understand ?

Do they give awards out on who charges the most or something ?

Call me crazy but I always feel that the folks charging top dollar and complaining about their neighbor's shop want the playing field to be even so to justify to themselves and their clients on those prices. Skill sets vary greatly in the taxidermy world as do prices but in the real world, the majority of potential clients just want work found in the middle ground. If it looks "good " than it is good enough and if they can get that without taking out a loan, they will. Apparently that bruises some folk's egos and they can accept that. Yes, you might be the best widget person on the planet but if the average client isn't looking for "perfection" then you may want to rethink YOUR business plan. ;)

17. Mason

Mason Active Member

VERY well said duxrus !

18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Taxidermist that complain about those under cutting their price are wasting their efforts. You will not get those guys (gals) to raise their prices. They have to realize it themselves that they could be making more for less work. If I was in the business of commercial taxidermy and the guy up the road wants to work his butt off 70-80 hours a week for a minimum wage (or less return), so be it. Sooner or later they will disappear from the radar either in the form of a heart attack, burn out or bankruptcy. None or which is your problem. Chances are, you will not be losing any (or minimal) business to them to begin with.

Quit wasting energy worrying about it. Time will take care of it.

Vic

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

People can charge what they want. I just posted on another thread where someone was asking how much people charge for deer european. Someone said $50. I charge $175 with no plaque. I don't care if someone charges $50, but I think it's crazy. What I've seen on this forum time and time again is people saying nobody could possibly get $x (usually over $350) for a deer in their area. Then others challenge him on it. Some are a little forceful and say they could get $y (say $700). The truth lies somewhere in between. Each person has to make a living. Some charge too little or too much and then complain when they can't seem to make a living. What both of these people don't seem to understand is that there is a formula. The lower you charge the more you take in; the higher your prices, the less you take in. You can raise prices so much and make more, but at some point, you'll start taking in less to the point where your profit margin starts to shrink again.
    I live in an area where we've had double digit unemployment for 8 years running. I charge $600 for deer, $800 for pig, $1000 for bobcat, etc. I'm a bit higher than the peak of my profit per price margin but because I'm part time I can afford to let a lot of business go because I'm too busy as it is. I probably mount 50-70 animals a year and that's about all I can handle. If I was full time, I'd want to take in more, so I'd have to lower my prices a little since there are plenty of taxidermists around me who charge much less. However, if I lower it too much then I'm working for free in a sense because I could charge more and make the same with less work. The trick is to find the point where you are making the most you can for the work you provide and still have as much work as you want to complete.
    I think more taxidermists err on the side of too low, than too high. In fact, I think it's not even close. Do I care if they are selling themselves short? Not until they come on here and complain that they can't seem to make a living and then complain that nobody could get $y for a deer, when they have never even tried it.
    So I do agree that many taxidermists are poor businessmen. I think what happens is when someone starts taxidermy they know what they are willing to pay to have a deer mounted. They keep that figure in their mind too long. After 15 years they are afraid to raise their prices to more than they themselves would be willing to pay and because most taxidermists are cheapskates--myself included--it's low. I wouldn't pay what I charge on some things to have something mounted even if I know I do really good work, but that hasn't stopped me from charging others. That's a mindset some need to get out of. The flip of that is someone who charges super high sometimes feels threatened and feels the need to justify what they charge because others say they can't charge that much. Charge whatever you can get and still stay as busy as you want. That should be everyone's philosophy.

20. Mr. Blow just took in 150 at $400 and made $60,000. He spent the rest of the year hunting and fishing while Mr. Joe was stuck in his shop making widgets for $200.