1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not another pricing thread

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Just proved my point. Now what is the public's perception of taxidermy. Here is an "idiot" (yes buckfever and Dux, an idiot) that is charging really "stupid" prices that will get covered up with work only to go out of business leaving a negative impact on "taxidermy" with everyone he has done business with. It's a joke...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Whats funny you don't post on any any threads and lurk around just waiting for something new posted on this thread so you can show us how smart you are. You're pathetic.

3. Harry Whitehead

Well buckfever, since all of this doesn't bother you, you have a strange way of showing it. First of all, your reading comprehension is lacking. I was neither calling you an idiot or dux but simply pointing out that I was using the word, "idiot" since you both busted my balls for using that term. I was also not saying anything about your cheap prices either. So, in summary, after your less than classy posts and your assumption that I was even talking about you which I was not, you seem to have included yourself with the "idiot" that was charging those "stupid" prices. BTW, I must congratulate you on your use of the English Language. Once again, you have only proved my point!

I question your math skills as well, you have many more posts than 3, but who's counting right?? They have been so intellectual especially your last couple.....!

4. Harry Whitehead

Don't add liar to the already piling up descriptions of yourself.

You know, I can lose weight (of which I have, 18 pounds) and quit drinking (of which I have for the last 4 months) but you're still.........well, you know don't you??????

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Come on guys, this tread was not about any one person it has to do with our trade.... We all charge different prices and most of it depends on our demographics around the country. I agree that we all need to charge more and I did go up on my prices but could go higher..... My problem is people (the customer) is being so deceived and has a lack of knowledge they will go to the cheaper person. Everytime I talk to someone I tell them area to look at and see it the mount they or their buddies have these characters. If not that is why they pay the cheaper price. I recently went to friends house that told me he had his buck mounted for "$175" and it looked like it. I usually keep my mouth shut unless asked and he did. I proceeded to tell him all the things wrong. Now the next one he gets mounted he will at least have some understanding. If all goes well this year I will raise my prices again and may loose business but then again when your 62 you start loosing interest in what you make or others around you.

Now "Can't we all just Play Nice".... LOL

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Well Damn it. A person can't have any fun on here anymore.

7. Harry Whitehead

Rich, that's what I've been saying all along. Someone that charges $175 for a deerhead is not only adversely affecting themselves but also the "other" taxidermists in the area. Is there anything that we can do about it Rich? No. All you can do is to keep educating your clientele and keep charging what it takes for YOU to do the right things and run a "legitimate" business and make a good living. That doesn't mean that we can't voice our opinion about how we don't like what lowballers charge.

8. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I think a lot of people in this buisness don't sit down and crunch the numbers to find out how much it reall costs to produce mounts. They look at what there neighbors are charging and go off that. Well if the neighbors are not making money neither will you.

I hear taxidermists all the time talking about educating there customers. Wouldn't be benificial for taxidermists to educate there own? As in showing how to run a successful buisness.

I have been doin g Taxidermy for close to 13 years. For 10 years it was just a hobby and I never really focused on the buisness aspect. Until the last 3 years.

9. Harry Whitehead

buckfever, please, give me a break. It is my total right to bitch about anything I want to bitch about. Just because you can't agree, that's ok, but to say you won't agree eventhough I could possibly be "100%" correct just because it's me shows how much of an "idiot" you are. Closed minded, simple minded, I could go on but I won't. I don't give a damn whether you like me or if anyone else does for that matter. I'm not running a popularity contest. What I can tell you is that I speak from the heart and I DO care about the profession of Taxidermy. I have devoted my whole life to it. When someone makes a mockery out of it then damn right, they are going to hear about it. IT IS MY RIGHT TO DO SO AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THAT'S TOO BAD!!!! Maybe if you would shut up and listen instead of running your mouth you would actually benefit too......and then again, never mind, it's me that said it so you won't.

Michelle, thank you. That is my whole purpose for even posting on this thread. Unfortunately, taxidermists are the only people in an industry that will argue for and defend low prices. Basically, the vast majority fly below the radar thinking that they are pulling something over on either the government or their competitors. It's sad.

Well, I'm done for now. I'm off to the liquor store and then home to make a fat sandwich with mayo so I can keep my weight up. I'll go straight to bed so as to not waste any calories and read the new unabridged version of "ELEMENTARY ENGLISH, LOUISIANA STLYE" until I fall asleep......boy, I hope I don't have nightmares!!!!!

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I saw that and about spit water out my nose I laughed so hard. Hell that doesn't even cover the shipping on a jawset. :D

11. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Agitate, Educate, Organize. ;)

12. Harry Whitehead

another intellectual post.

BTW, what tax document?

Your turn buck, swing again.

13. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

This thread ......

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

14. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Harry I agree with you all the way on customer education and maybe someday the people that low ball just for the antlers will disappear. But then again I'm not a betting man so......

Hope to see you guys in the next 7 mo.

Tim.... Reading some of these threads with all the bashing can be really interesting..... Hell it sometimes make my tongue hard..... LOL

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'll buy the bottle & pay for the room for Harry & Buckfever/Louisiana to debate at the World Show.......we'll charge $50 admission and donate the money to Dallas to fight Ebola......

Seriously though Buckfever/Louisiana, Harry might not have a good bedside manner & him & I have locked horns before, but if you two sit down together I bet you will find you have more in common than differences...... that's how sh!t usually plays out :)

16. EA

EA Well-Known Member

A reprimand is in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yqbLHYbcI

17. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Michael I think your charging to much for those ticket... I can make them and mount them on foam board a whole lot cheaper... How about $25 and I'll split the profit with you... Sorry if I'm Low Balling you.

18. There is the problem, Harry doesnt get I could careless what some one else charges. In no way shape form or fashion does some one cheaper effect me at all.

I had a wealthy customer call me recently. He started telling me about a guy that would mount his deer for 300.00 My reply was that where you need to go, because I'm not. Go on I wont bust your a$$ to bad when I have to redo it. Next thing out of his mouth is I'm not going any place else , Just wanted to see what you would say. Then he said and I quote Hell I didn't even get a rise out of you.

One thing I know for sure in 30 years of doing this. customers are going to come and go. You cant please them all. There will always be somebody that thinks I'm to high and some that dont bat a eye at the price.
    Some use you for no other reason than so and so does. some will drop you because so and so went someplace else.

When one leaves, I usually pick up two more.

19. Harry Whitehead

There couldn't be a debate because he would just drag me down to his level and beat me with stupidity! I couldn't compete.

What tax document??

I don't back down from POS's either. Especially really ignorant ones!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Harry Whitehead