1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not another pricing thread

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Echidnas and Platypuses are Monotremes which translates to "one opening". Not sure about the rat has to do with anything...

Actually I'm not sure how any of this has to do with anything at all... ???

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Ya know something...........and this is the Gods honest truth! I do not know what ANY of my competitors charge! Not a singal one! I have never tried to find out or cared! And it puzzles me as to why any "established" taxidermist would care! If you aren't getting enough work....you either suck...or are too high! If you are getting too much..............you are to cheap! Business 101!

3. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Just for conversation sake, your "tax document" is dated in 2012. So since you have been in business for thirty years, how long have you been paying use tax or have you even started paying this "mandatory" tax yet? Just asking since you are Mr Businessman, inquiring minds would like to know...!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Damn........a good taxinet debate or flogging. Guess I'm late. So tell me...whose winning? Santa is watching you. He knows if you've been naughty or nice. Someone's gonna get coal in their stockings. LOL :eek:

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

In my state, a business "Use Tax" is the taxable amount of goods bought tax free through a wholesale supplier but which are consumed by the business itself without being a component of a product to be sold. That would be like a carpet business that gets a piece of carpet from their supplier but installs it in their own office. They would file the sales tax equivalent on the cost at which they aquired it.

Not sure how much a Taxidermy business would consume for it's own purposes, besides materials that would be bought tax free for a display mount or something of that nature. How often does that happen? Wouldn't amount to a whole lot per year in most cases.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

or the hand soap in the lavatory facilities. The toilet paper and the coffee as well. Please don't forget the coffee.

7. Harry Whitehead

Greg, a use tax is a tax on items purchased outside the state of residence and used in producing a product. Let's say that you purchase a manikin from Mckenzie. You don't pay Mckenzie any sales tax. You would however pay a use tax of what ever the sales tax rate is in your state to the revenue cabinet in your state of residence for "using" those materials to produce that product. Here in Kentucky it is 6%. You pay sales tax within your state at the time of purchase, you pay use tax on items purchased out of state.

8. Harry Whitehead

You were just kidding about the carpet thing, right? If not, what state do you live in?

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Morning bitches. !

10. Harry I see you really do not remember the thread when that was posted. The document is only about the very first line only. Taxidermist are not required to collect sales tax (on work rendered). You kept saying we were I said we wasn't.

Same here except its 4%. Even if you pour your own deer manikins you must pay the sale tax on the raw foam purchased if from out of state.
    Harry the parish sales tax collector comes by quite often, We talk hunting, lives. and some wheres along the way tax collection.

But good morning to you to.

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Tax laws vary from state to state. Tennessee does have a use tax such as the carpet example. Additionally, any material used within the business (such as tanning chemicals, excelsior, etc.) that is not charged to the customer (to collect sales tax) is considered a use tax. There is a line on the sales tax form for this in Tennessee. When I was in the service business I charged everyone a fee (1.50 per invoice) for misc. stuff such as solder, cleaners and other shop supplies. The state was happy with this (I got audited) because they actually made out on it over what I would pay in tax for the supplies (and I also made a profit on it as well)

But Tennessee is also a screwy state. We charge tax on labor but taxidermy is exempt from sales tax except the cost of materials. Go figure!

12. livbucks

In my state, there is sales tax imposed on the finished product. Taxidermy is subject to sales tax to the end purchaser. The supplies are not taxable to the taxidermist as part of a product to be resold. Only products bought (either in state or out of state) where no sales tax was collected, but the product was consumed by the business itself without being resold are subject to the use tax.

No I was not kidding about the carpet example.

13. livbucks

Well yea, sales tax is paid at the time of purchase on that stuff when you buy it at the store. Unless you buy that online and out of state. But who does that? If you paid the sales tax at time of purchase there is no use tax due. This is being made way more complicated than it is.

Food is not taxable, so the coffee is tax free! DRINK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiping your ass is taxable.

14. pir^2h

Wish food was not taxable in Tennessee. In my county the rate is 8.75%. Other things are 9.75%.

It is coming to that. I guess in a way it is already there since you have to pay tax on toilet paper and if you have sewer service they charge tax on that!

15. Harry Whitehead

"Harry I see you really do not remember the thread when that was posted. The document is only about the very first line only. Taxidermist are not required to collect sales tax (on work rendered). You kept saying we were I said we wasn't."

No, I never said that taxidermists had to collect sales tax even though in some states they actually do have to. They do however have to pay a use tax on supplies purchased OUTSIDE the state at whatever the sales tax rate is for that state and should figure that into the costs of doing business.

pir, Tennessee does not have state income tax though I don't think.....You're gonna pay something one way or the other!!!

16. pir^2h

You are correct but they have been trying to get one passed for a long time. It is just a matter of time before it happens! They definitely do make up for it other ways.

Vic

17. X2

18. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

In Davidson county you have to pay additional taxes on your equipment to boot until it depreciates below a certain point and a flat rate is owed. Never have understood why I have to be taxed on already taxed items but it is what it is.

19. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Not if Obama has anything to do with it!!

20. This whole thread i feel can be sumed up in one phrase.
    I buy the he'll out of stuff when it's one sale, but I still by some stuff when it's not.