1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking to Id this Deer head mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Fush, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Fush

Fush New Member

I recently aquired this head at a yardsale for a serious bargain of $10. I think its a white tail but anyone can help confirm this or even id it.

http://i.imgur.com/GpLSdmW.jpg

Its in very nice condition Not sure about the horns. They may be fake. I also don't know how old it is in general too.

Any help would be amazing! Thank you!

2. shane whiting

shane whiting Active Member

Utah
    whitetail.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Why would you think the antlers are fake, looks like an OK 9 point

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

based on what the form looks like I'd say it was mounted within the last 10 years

5. Fush

Fush New Member

The horns make a very plasticy sound when i knock on them like when i feel the mount itself. Same type of sound. I wish I had another mount to compare them.

Also I never quite understood the point system for horns.

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Look like a 7 point to me but I agree its a whitetail and mounted relatively recently.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL. Antlers all sound "plasticy". I'd almost bet the farm they are real. No one I know would use the time, energy or expense to reproduce such a piddly sized rack.

8. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Even if they were repros I don't see how it matters, I've eaten sandwiches that costed more than that mount

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Plastic antlers will flex and bend, bone will not.

10. akvz

akvz New Member

Resin repros are used for "rattling" quite often, and actual bone antlers sound quite similar. Similar enough that it works for attracting deer!

The only reason someone would cast antlers of that size is if, for some reason, the person wanted both a euro and gamehead done... Not very common at all. They're likely real... or a tine or two was repaired.