1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new shipment of beetles and I now have little bugs

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tschuppan, Sep 17, 2014.

1. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

I received a new shipment of beetles about (8000) when I unpacked I seen 1 little bug about the size of one of the smallest larva. It was kind of a reddish color and kind of shinny. Now after 2 months I have noticed a ton of them in the container and all over the skull does anybody have any idea what they are or if it is possible to get rid of them.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Picture? Who did you get the beetles from?

You said it was a reddish color .. does it look like this?

[​IMG]

3. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

They are most likely a variant of a flour beetle. If it's the guy I am thinking of it's the confused flour beetle, a copper colored small beetle. It will INFEST any grain products. You can purchase glue traps with a hormone bait. Since the beetles can fly short distances you can place the trap out of reach of the dermestids and control the population a bit.

Attached Files:

4. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

Yes they are the second one they are every where. Do you know where you got your traps are they just the hanging fly traps.

5. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

No- they are not normal fly traps they have a pheromone to attract the beetles into the glue traps.
    I do not remember what brand I will see if I still have one around.