1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Telling the difference between a wolf and coyote pelt.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by olixwolf, Sep 18, 2014.

1. olixwolf

olixwolf New Member

Are there any surefire ways to tell them apart? From what I understand, wolves can have coyote-like coloration, and possibly vice versa. I'm sure the size is a dead giveaway, but not always. I'm buying a wolf pelt online, and I want to make absolutely sure it's a wolf.

2. akvz

akvz New Member

Size is the biggest determiner of it, I think. Wolves tend to have large feet, as well, but on a wallhanger or laid out flat it may be hard to see or they may be missing/cut off/etc., along with a lot of other "easy" determiners like ear shape/size.

A wolf is always going to be bigger than a coyote, probably, as even a large coyote is not as big as a small wolf. They are huge animals.

3. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Size defiantly size! Wolves are massive creatures here's my normal sized yote with a SMALL wolf [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

4. Sometimes it's hard to tell, for example the male I have below.He has characteristics of both although hesitant to call him a Coywolf as I don't know the origins.

He's 70 inches nose to tail so quite large, and definitely within the measurements of a small to smaller average wolf. Has a lot of silver / grey markings, and his fur is quite thick & long too especially around the ruff area, much more so than my normal Yote. His feet are also quite large!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. olixwolf

olixwolf New Member

Thank you for the prompt replies! I'm probably just being paranoid. Here's a picture of the pelt I purchased.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/044/0/41727782/icm_fullxfull.46519639_re3z0zc32e8kksoccg0s.jpg

6. EbonFeline

EbonFeline New Member

I'd say coyote looking at the picture

7. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I think it coyote

8. akvz

akvz New Member

I would ask for information on the animal, such as CITES tags. I'm unsure if coyote products need CITES but wolves typically do in the US and Canada, and it can be illegal to purchase or sell without tags, especially if it is an "unfinished" product like a mountable wet-tan. It does look a bit coyote-ish to me but you may get a more definite answer asking for length/width/tags/history of the animal, etc.

"I am interested in your wolf pelt. However, I would like to know the dimensions of the pelt and if it has a proper export license or CITES tag for my state or province."

9. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Here in canada coyotes do not need a CITES but wolves defiantly do! Size is hard to judge in photos, but the smallest wolf I have is 74"

10. olixwolf

olixwolf New Member

She said she purchased it from glacierwear.com a few years ago. She also said it was slightly over 6 feet in length. It is quite difficult to judge size on a picture. I messaged her a short while ago, asking if she had any paperwork with it, so I'm waiting for her response. She doesn't come off as an untrustworthy person, and her shop has very high reviews. So, I'll see what happens. Worst case scenario, I get it, and looks like it's definitely a coyote, a file a PayPal dispute. That's all.

Here are a few other pictures. Maybe this'll help.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/043/0/41727782/icm_fullxfull.46469517_frkrwfrvl5w0g004okgg.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/41727782/icm_fullxfull.46457084_ffyzdbe7g80k88o8ws8k.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/043/0/41727782/icm_fullxfull.46519637_aonvk2c7mtk4wosgs4wc.jpg

I'm not positive, but I don't think coyotes have white legs and paws. Or at least, not commonly.

11. bonus41

bonus41 Member

If it is a wolf it's is a VERY small wolf! My wolf is XXsmall and it is 77" (6 feet is 72") ears look yoteish to me and the feet seem very small for a wolf I've seen wolf feet bigger then ones hand! But if it is indeed from glacierwear they are trustable. But this guy gives me yote vibes. I'll see if I can get a belly pick of my wolf and yote

12. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

The legs look small & tannish-brown... makes me think it's coyote, but i'm not an expert

13. JessiK

JessiK Member

Looks like a tawny colored wolf to me.
    I've never seen a coyote get that big (doesn't mean it's impossible) but I have seen wolves that small... so I would say it's at least a coywolf if not just a small wolf. The only thing that's throwing me off is the paws look small.
    Either way, I'm definitely interested to see what you think when you get him in!

14. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Wolves can and do cross with coyotes - The Red wolf was declared extinct, because there were no existing pure bred Red Wolves left, the remaining wolves in the wild had all cross bred with coyotes. The pelt in the photo appears to have been stretched length-wise, and it is very difficult to tell from a photo without measurements. A picture of paws in a hand don't tell you anything because you don't know how big the hand is. How wide are the front paws? How long is the hide from nose to base of tail? Post that info and it will give more of an idea from which to judge. The nose to base of tail measurement will rarely be over 40" for a coyote. An adult wolf will most likely be over 48".

I believe all wolves would need a CITES tag to be sold across state or international lines.

15. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Wolves do need CITES or else it's illegal to sell... At least here in ontario it is that way. This pelt still looks yote to me it has the pointed ears of a yote when wolves have rounded ears, the feet seem very small to me... But I never seen a yote get to 6 feet

My wolf is 65" and considered small for a wolf but huge for a yote