1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Obsessed........

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jhunter13, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

I have been doing taxidermy for a little over a year and I can officially say I have an obsession. Every store I go to or house I visit I see everyday items and think "I could use that for a habitat...." when i pet my dogs I look at them references!

Worst things I could be addicted to I guess.

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

It's amazing what you can find while out at various stores and think "huh, I could use this for ..." lol...The looks I get when employees ask 'what are you making?' or "what are you going to use this for?" are priceless lol. Case in point...the trip I made to Home Depot to look for a painter's apron for skeleton prep...that was pretty awesome

3. And my wife thought it was just me

4. I've been obsessed with skulls for 15 years. Nothing to be fearful of, its a great hobby for me and my enthusiasm has never died. I don't need anything else to get "High" on Life

5. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

It can't be as bad as the looks a buddy of mine got in the pharmacy.
    He made his own diaphragm turkey calls and he'd use latex but according to him
    the best quality latex was Trojan condoms.
    Well this one time I was with him and all the pharmacy had was the lubricated ones.
    When I ask him why didn't he just get them.
    He stated ( quite loud at that ) that the lubricated ones taste like crap.
    Now , if you want to talk about getting looks.............

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'll bet you guys still stop for roadkills.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

if its got a set of antlers on it. you'll see me there. ;)

8. I stop for road kill all the the time and my wife gets so mad . For me its the best practice animals to work on , I only been doing it now for over a year. Its great because it allows me to try different things and to see how it would come out without messing up somthing good. Now my grandson wants to do it and road kill to me is a great tool for him to practice with.
    Someday I will pass on the road kill hope.

9. George

I stop for roadkills all the time. I wait for traffic to clear and then I run over them 2 or 3 times so nobody will pick it up and bring it to the shop to be mounted.

10. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Almost spit my OJ out on this one.....

I have never stopped for roadkill. I am still nervous about getting fresh animals done in time, dont need to start with a handicap

11. freeze_1

LOL ;D. I can see the reasoning in that.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Give it time. You will one day find something new to replace taxidermy.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Enjoy the obsession while you can. I used to be obsessed with taxidermy too. After 30 years of doing it as a hobby and the last five as a "part time" business and this year(2013/14) working at full time hours, my obsession is going back to very limited part time and working on the freezer full of backlogged personal stuff I never got around to. I'm finding that life is too short and I want to spend it with my family, not dead animals. Every now and then that obsession comes knocking on the door but that door ain't gunna open very wide. Once you get good loyal customers that would rather grovel at your feet than go find a different taxidermist it's pretty hard to quit on them. I'm too soft to do that to them. So I'll always have some to do.

14. LOL that's so funny George,iam shore that will stop when you get a flat tyre or to,PS next time you should post a pic
    i have family keeping a eye out for me.

15. tasinsc

tasinsc Member

how long can road kill be there before it is not worth getting if i pass a fox in the morning at 5 oclock am is it good at 4 oclock pm and how can i preserve and skin it how long is the time window ???thanks TAS..

16. George

You're kidding, right? God I hope so. No one is dumb enough to try and salvage a roadkilled fox unless they run over it themselves and get it skinned out withing minutes.

17. freeze_1

That depends, forget about salvaging the hide. It will be shot.
    Now if you were thinking on the lines as table fare, probably not bad
    if you can manage to keep the squirming rice on you plate long enough
    to get it all ate up.

18. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I wouldn't even think of touching one unless it was winter and cold as heck. All foxes and coyotes get slip so easy.

19. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I OBSESSED with staring at pretty young women since I find myself single again. George I promise not to bring any back to my shop unless I run them over fresh. You taught me well. Haha

20. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Well a good rule of thumb is "decay starts the moment a body is dead" so no, don't bother picking up a carcass after work that you saw on your way into work. Besides natural decay, the physical trauma of being run over will usually damage a hide in one spot or another, which may not be obvious until you're at home working on it. Additionally animals with broken backs or pelvises are very frustrating to skin because they flop around too much. ;)