1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

George Dante and "Lonesome George"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

The famous Galapagos giant tortoise, "Lonesome George" was the last of his species. When he died in 2012, master taxidermist George A. Dante, Jr. was chosen to lead the project for the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

[​IMG]

A nice article on Gizmodo.com with an excellent video by the AMNH can be seen here: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-pull-off-the-most-complex-taxidermy-of-all-time-1636774556

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

AWESOME!

That is AWESOME!

:)

Kerby...

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

What a great challenge! Congradulations George - you always manage to do consistently good work! "Lonesome George" was in good hands! He looks great! The NMAH picked a very talented man for the job!

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Very Nicely done. Congrats George.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

fantastic story and done by a great taxidermist!

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Wonderful! Maybe George can borrow him back for the World Show competition ;-)

7. Though sad, it was a beautiful video and awesome work done on George! :) Would love to try to go see before he's sent back to Ecuador.

8. Beautiful storey ken,thanks for the post.well what can you say about George. what pressure he would have been under well done. ;)

9. Beautiful George! Thanks for sharing.

10. I hope DNA samples were taken. It would be wonderful if Lonesome George could "sire" a new generation of the Galapagos turtles. Maybe when cloning becomes more stable, that could happen. Don't laugh...it COULD happen. Remember when people didn't believe in man flying or moving pictures in little bitty boxes? Ya just never know....

11. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Absolutely Fantastic! 8)

12. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

It is like I have always have said "If I could only have the talent in Georges finger nail clippings"

Well done my friend!

Rick Krane

13. Fred Barilla

Fred Barilla Member

Fantastic George!!! Your talent is inspiring!

-Fred

14. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Nice job , George as usual !

15. akvz

akvz New Member

They're actually attempting to bring the tortoise back via selective breeding, as he is a subspecies of Galápagos tortoise and not a true species of himself. There are first-generation hybrids of the Pinta island tortoise on Isabela island and Wolf volcano, and they may be used to breed his species back into being.

As for the main bulk of the topic: I've been fascinated with this taxidermy for the past few days. Phenomenal work, I'm glad that we have the skills available to us today to properly conserve creatures like Lonesome George and we're not faced with bad anatomy and scientific inaccuracies any longer.