1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cow Hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by WyomingLawDog, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I am going to take on a big task I guess you could say. I have a full size cow hide from an Angus cow that we butchered. I am going to tan it and lay it flat. Anyone on here that has done a cow hide with any suggestions? I don't know what lies ahead except that it is a huge hide. I don't know if cow hides have to be shaved down alot. Any suggestions on tanning the hide to lay flat, how long in the acid pickle and the tanning solution? The hide is about 80lbs that I got from the butcher but it still has to be fleshed, was thinking of trying to flesh with a power washer for that big of a hide could take me forever with a knife. I guess the biggest task will be the shaving I guess, anyone one with some knowledge on cow hides, your imput is appreciated. Thanks, Brad

2. RobinK

RobinK New Member

Shaving is a big task wait til you dry to break soft its a big job been there once not again i send them to the tanners but good luck

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I just did one, everyone tries something stupid once in their life. I got through it, but shaving it is very hard if you are not use to it, it was heavy by it's self, and then the addition of the pickle juice made it very heavy to lift across the shaver. It MUST be shaved thin or you will have a stiff board. No amount of tumbling will break it if it is not thinned. Mix the pickle with an acid bate, you can buy it through Rittels or any other taxidermy supply. The hardest part is shaving it thin. I got a top notch shaver and it still was a work out. The acid bate will help it shave easer. When I got it thinned down enough to start to see evidence of the hair roots, that is where I stopped. Go any deeper and the hair will fall out. I neutralized the pickled skin, then used Knobloch's Liqua tan to tan it with. Then about 8 hours after tanning I put a heavy coat of Knobloch's Liqua Soft oil on it and as the hide dried to about 80% and still damp, I had a friend tumble it in his 8 foot tall tumbler for about 4 hours. It came out fully dried and soft enough to lay out totally flat. It's going to be allot of work, and I'm not kidding. If you don't have a shaving machine, forget it, you will not get it thin with a knife and it will take forever by hand. I would strongly recommend sending it out if you do not have a shaving machine.