1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Slipping after Mounting

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andy M, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Andy M

Andy M Member

Hello There!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having. I mounted a deer, let it dry for a couple of weeks, went to go do the finish work and find a slipping spot. I tanned it with EZ-100 and followed the directions. Everything went well until this. I have tried using stop rot but hair continues to slip. The spot seems to be getting larger. I believe now I'll have to make a patch repair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

2. your pickel soultion might not have worked,, try a different tan , Krowtan,, works for me, and put the head in from of a fan if the humidity is high. also drum the cape after washing to remove as much water as possiable before you moun it,

mj

3. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Only had that problem once myself and it was the pickle . I let the ph get to high. Try using the saftee acid, it is more stable than some.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Stop rot won't stop slippage after it has started and especially after it's been tanned. It was designed for usage to PREVENT slippage. Your tan is an excellent tannage. If you followed the directions properly, I don't think your tan could cause that. If it is slipping after it is dry, then the slip was there before it dried and now is showing it's self, that is, if that spot is indeed dry. If it is not, get it dry. How is the spot getting bigger? Are you pulling on the hair? If so, don't. If it is just falling away on it's own, then not much you can do now.

5. Andy M

Andy M Member

Hello there!

Pickle was at a Ph of 1, and I do use Safety Acid, and my Ph was a 4 when I used EZ-100. It sounds like I'm going to have to cut out the bad area back to tight hair and do a patch repair. Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Andy

6. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

How long did you have it at room temp before salting it? How long did the customer leave it out before he froze it? A lot of field care practices contribute to slippage and unfortunately the hunter doesn't really understand the importance of proper field care. They drop it off and you get the headache without asking the proper questions. Early season temps are in the 70s here anymore and it is crucial to get the buck frozen ASAP or caped, fleshed and salted. If I find out they hadn't taken the necessary precautions when they bring it in I tell them that there will be a possibility of slippage, and you won't see it most of the time until you reach the pi kling stage. Another thing is try not to keep hides in a bag when thawing, and try not to roll them up before freezing.

7. Andy M

Andy M Member

This is a late November buck and was skinned and frozen quickly. It just seems odd to have this happen as I have always followed the same steps in my process and haven't had any problems until now. The only thing I can thing of, this that maybe there a bit too much hide paste in that area which kept the skin moist longer then usual, as the hide seemed damp in that spot as I was trying to find out what was going on. I'll put a fan on it to help dry the area out before anymore slipping occurs.

Thanks again!!

8. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

If the buck had a fighting wound , or any damage to the hide in the area , some of the problem may have been caused by infection. Animals may lose hair around a wound and regrow it when the area heals. Loose hair may slip a fair distance from the wound site depending how bad the infection was, but you usually find it during the skinning process. Had a spike that got gored in the ear butt and had a couple inch bad spot that actually slipped 1/2 his mat from the the infection . You may have done everything right, just doomed from the start.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire