1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #34

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Duck Norris, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Good morning fellow bird brains! Hope everyone had a nice relaxing weekend because it's Monday and time to get back to the bench! Let me start off by saying that I feel honored that I was nominated to host botw this year! I am fairly new to taxidermy and this site and its awesome members has been great! I have learned a ton from you guys and always enjoy seeing everyones birds! A huge thanks to the taxi.net community for all the tips, info, and inspiration you all provide on a daily basis!

A little about myself...my name is Brandon Gilmore, born and raised in central North Carolina, and will be turning 30 in November. In 2011 I married my wonderful wife Katie, and in February 2013 we were truly blessed with an 8lb 4oz little girl we named Ryleigh Ann! Life in the Gilmore household has been super busy lately and sometimes hectic, but we are enjoying every minute of it! I have always had a fascination with birds, especially waterfowl, and have my dad to thank for that! Ever since I was old enough to carry gun we have been in pursuit of ducks, geese, doves, quail, turkeys, pretty much any legal game that's covered in feathers! A few years ago, I decided to get into taxidermy, work with the birds I have been obsessed about my whole life, I bought some dvds, a wire wheel, a couple bird forms and the rest is history. I still have a ton to learn and long ways to go, but I try my best and strive to get better. I really enjoy mounting birds, and plan to continue as long as I can! Sooo, lets get down to it and see some birds!

Here is a little Greenwing and a large Rio to kick it off!

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I would like to welcome our new host Brandon. It looks like we are in good hands. At the same time I would like to thank Chris Bailey for his good job at hosting BOTW for the past 2 weeks. A job well done. Brandon you started out this week with a gorgeous gw teal and beautiful turkey mount. Great, clean work. I love it. I am looking forward to all the posts that the next 2 weeks has to offer. Take care, Paul.

5. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Goldeneye I killed in Florida last year that I took to the convention this year for a second place. Man, I gotta start taking better pictures.
    [​IMG]

6. Appreciate it a lot Paul! Awesome goldeneye Mallards! A nice, mature drake has been on my hit list forever, but NC just doesn't seem to get em! Thanks for sharing!

7. JBird

JBird Member

Duck Norris - wonderful work - I've been on hiatus for a while now - lots of "life" going on - mostly good - but very distracting. I have popped in from time to time to enjoy the BOTW and am remiss that I haven't had the opportunity to participate more but am happy to have the chance now and with Mr. Norris as our gracious host. I've been working like a dog - lots of entitled mouths to feed so my taxes are more important than ever I'm told - :eek: :p meantime here are a few I was able to get some photos of - the chuckars were sort of a dissapointment as the one on the right was half the specimen as the other two - but the client wanted all three ;o) as most know I don't do a lot of base work - oh - who are we kidding - I don't do ANY base work as I typically cater to the collectors - but I have a marvelous partner who's far more talented in that area so he took the initiative to get a bit more creative than my standard routed round and twig - haha

Eurasian Eagle Owl
    [​IMG]
    Cape Eagle Owl
    [​IMG]
    Chilean flamingo
    [​IMG]
    White (not sure if its a true albino) Valley quail
    [​IMG]
    mountain quail
    [​IMG]
    and two lovely chuckars with one stupid skinny one on the side - haha
    [​IMG]

Thanks Chuck for hosting - looking forward to the rest of the week

Cheers
    Jeff

8. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Thanks for hosting Brandon. Nice birds so far.... I love the MT quail, jbird. We have a few here but no season. I have yet to score one in the field.

Sage Grouse hen this week , a little artistic license on the pose but they sell well.

Attached Files:

9. Lovin all these upland birds!!!JBird, awesome post!! I keep lookin at those owls and been expecting one to blink any minute! Great job on all those pieces! Always enjoy seeing your sages' Jay Parke! Definitely jealous of all you guys with the good bird hunting! ;D Wish we had more in NC!

10. wings II

wings II New Member

Jay - I have a Sage Grouse Hen for a very good client and I didn't know how I was going to mount it "displaying" - I wanted to let you know that I will be copying your pose and you've given me the answer.. Thanks! :)

11. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Excellent birds so far,
    Duck been a big fan of your clean tight birds.
    J-Bird what can I say love the variety and work.
    Mallards great action shot!
    Jay Excellent Grouse!
    I have been playing carpenter and stone mason this summer so nothing new at this time.
    I do however have some pictures from a long missed member of the birds forum.
    Wingman I wish you would come back and post with us as your work is truly inspirational and know one works as hard as you!!!

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
  12. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

another one

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      120.1 KB
      Views:
  13. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

and another one,

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      40 KB
      Views:
  14. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

one more for now more to come!!

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
  15. Thanks for posting some Wingman work Wolfgang! Everyone has a style and I recognized it immediately, that spec is one of the coolest goose mounts I've seen!

Duck Norris, thanks for hosting, I'm a huge fan of your work! This week is looking awesome so far, I'll try to finish out a couple pieces so that I can contribute a bit before the week runs out.

16. Thanks Wolfie for posting one of my favorite taxidermists work, besides yours that is! ;)

17. wings II

wings II New Member

X2 !!

Wolfgang you can follow him on facebook at Wildfowl Unlimited Bird Taxidermy or he has a website: www.wildfowl.us. Hope this helps :)

18. Hen Chicken and Eurasian Eagle Owl.

Attached Files:

19. Thanks for posting Wolfgang! Awesome action of that white fronted! Cool X2!!! Thanks again NTX! Lookin forward to seeing them! Great job on the chicken and owl Birdstuffer! Very cool idea on that hen! Lovin the variety so far this week and lets keep it rollin! Here's a snow goose to throw in the mix! [​IMG]

20. JBird

JBird Member

great week so far - love the sage grouse - and the pose - cheri you need to call and bug me about that penguin form ;o) wolfy - awesome as always - I believe you owe me a few pictures still as well - haha - mr.norris - GORGEOUS snow -