1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Young early season suggestions

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Sep 30, 2014.

1. I had a young 5 point come in today, pretty little rack and beautiful cape. I have a taxis choice shoulder or wall pedestal free reign. If it were mine I think browsing would be good but I'm not thinking that's the path they had in mind so though it is my choice I'm thinking kinda conservative as it is going between 2 upright straight old style mounts.

What looks good on these young pretty deer. I don't think ots would come close to fitting. I'm considering revolution or coombs wall ped...
    Any pics suggestions appreciated...
    What do you do on your choice deer?

2. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

I would do a semi sneak with them looking towards the door way entering the room.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    DSC, they all look good, it depends on the taxidermist more than anything, just remember don't use only reference of mature big deer. Young bucks have some of the same features as a mature deer just not to the same degree. Pick a form you like that is close and make it fit the cape.

4. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

On smaller deer 16 to 18 inch necks i always try to go with a semi sneak Coombs .. But I only use Coombs whitetail forms anyway

5. I think he would look good in any pose with his cape, I guess I'm not going for making him look bigger than he is. I just want him to look pretty. Lol. Thank you for all the suggestions. I appreciate the advice. I know I ask alot on ideas. I just feel better when I get it from you guys. I'm not doubtful of my abilities Im just aware of where I am in all this ;) I googled small and young buck mounts and not many small 18 month old deer came up.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't mind mounting them, it allows you to showcase the beauty of the animal without the distraction of big antlers or over swelled neck. I have used forms from Research, McKenzie, Van Dykes on young deer and all have turned out nice.

7. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

whatever u do dont use a straight on have a turn and if you use a upright it will look even smaller use a semi sneak my 2 cents

8. I just got the new mckenzie catalog yesterday their new deer form is like the 6900 but for young and "small framed" deer. Looks nice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Thanks for all the input. I'm still deciding. Very limited on a 14 inch neck but I'm weighing my options.

10. It's the 6300 I was referring too. There's a 15.5 available but you probably would have to alter much else with it being smaller framed.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

11. Yeah I just got it today! That looks good. Thanks Agren!

12. McKenzie 6500 would be my choice. Here is a small very short hair youth season deer that I did several years ago for my niece's first buck.

Attached Files:

13. ccook63 that is a beautiful mount!

14. Yes that is beautiful!!

15. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

You can always alter one and make your choices less limited.

16. Do something a little different like using a Mck 8900 wal ped and put some expression in those eyes and ear butts to show realism. I got this one in a couple weeks ago and the neck is like 18 3/4 and the customer wanted something different but lifelike. So here it is. They will love it because it shows more body and you can create you're own expression in those sculpted eyes and ear butts.

John Griffith

Attached Files:

17. That's pretty. Yeah that's why I kinda wanted to do browsing... 18-19 inch neck is what 90% of my deer are that are brought in. I like being creative.

Does anyone have more pics of the 18 month old range? 12-15 inch necks?

18. Attached Files:

19. We must be getting our catalogs around the same time Agren. I saw that yesterday and really like it!