1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DogSoldierChick, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ok.... Where to start.
    I began using dp. It's how I was taught but I've mounted a some lifesize that were tanned and liked it. My thing is the measurements rarely line up with the carcass measurements I took. Always smaller, so it was suggested to use stop rot and dp on my smaller mammals. Works out good, hardly any shrinkage.

I've used DP on the deer I was doing and love how it mounts up easily. The size is right along with being able to position things easily. Still I want to do the best I can so I got some Krowtann wt formula. Followed directions perfectly and it's 2 inches smaller in the neck. Now the tan looks good, it's got a wet dishrag looseness but it just won't fit the 18 inch form
    It's measuring 16. I measured it tight behind the ears and I mean tight on the carcass.

Now my guess is its not shaved correctly perhaps or I'm suppose to go by after tan measurements.

My argument with those things are, if I can dp it at the thinness it is and get the detail, look, fall in place etc and it dry well then why would it need to be thinner with tanning?
    I spent 4 days tanning this deer and am just upset I can't use it on the form I know it fit raw.
    If it is measured after tanning then it's not true to what it was brought in.

Am I completely wrong? I'm so frustrated. I want to tan but its just not working out for me.

In my opinion a cape should fit a form easily for back stacking etc to create a smooth mount.

Idk. Maybe I've never seen a properly thinned hide to know but I'm just really frustrated. I have a mini flesher and in no way can I afford a shaver right now.

But like I said I just need to understand if the tan is wrong or If they don't go back to the right size, if so why do it. If the cape is properly thinned for dp why does it have to go thinner for tan?

Just want the best work possible.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Before I got my Dakota Pro, My home tanned skins which were hand shaved with a knife, would barely stretch to the original size after extreme stretching sessions. After the Dakota Pro, my home tanned skins stretch up to two inches beyond the green skin fully stretched. I shave to the blue, almost to the hair roots. My commercial tanned skins will stretch to the green skin measurements when it was stretched and then relaxed. When I tried Krowtan, I was able to get them to stretch to the original relaxed green measurements. I do use oil after tanning. I use Liqua tan now and oil it with Liqua soft. When I did Krowtan, I used Krow oil. I found that for what ever reason, I needed to thin the cape to the max and use oil to get it to achieve a product that was like the green hide in stretch Etc. So, an unthinned green cape will stretch like crazy, but a tanned unthinned cape will not. I don't know if this helped or not, but it is my experience with stretch.

Crook's Taxidermy likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I had your exact experience and when I noted on this forum that I lost 2 inches of stretch, I was called a pathological liar by several people. Since it was never addressed, here's my opinion fir what it's worth. KroStand is a strong pickle. All hides shrink when pickled. I think the only "cure" is to put the hides in a good neutralizing bath. Once the pH is raised, the hide should be oiled and mounted. You're simply never going to recover 2 inches of girth by shaving.

4. I always get about an inch extra stretch from Krowtann Whitetail formula beyond my meat measurements. I follow directions on bottle exactly. I use 1 1/2 cups grocery store baking soda in neutralizing bath. Wash in tide, rinse, then spin cape in washer. Shave with Dakota Pro, usually go over neck a second time. Thin eyes, nose, lips with skife. Sew up any repairs, then I oil with Mckenzie leather oil (2 parts warm water to 1 part oil). Fold skin to skin, bag and put in fridge overnight to sweat. Next morning, pull from fridge and stretch by hand - I always get meat measurements back and another inch - makes for real easy sewing.
    I never follow the instruction sheet Mckenzie sends with Krowtann - the neutralizing quantities for sodium bicarbonate don't match bottle - I called Ozark Woods a couple years ago and he told me to use 12 oz to 2 gallons of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

LOL George...Reminds Me of the good Ole Days!
    OK...I am going to stay out of this one Cause it's just like beating a Dead Horse!
    LOVE YA GEORGE!!! lol

Now to address the issue.....I can help You with your KT problem if you take the time to give Me a call .... I don't write as good as George and I can just plain explain things soooo much better verbally.... Number is 706-789-3786 Georgia, U.S.A time....

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tom, I don't think you've had that happen and I'm not sure it's just not an occasional gremlin that pokes its ugly head up. I think it could be fixed after the fact. I had hides tanned in Krowtann later that were great to work with and had superb stretch.

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Go Tru bond..I will hush now . If u want a good home tan and more stretch than u thought possible well you know we're I stand.

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I have no problems with KT ; I do flesh with a Dakota pro , witch i think works better than a mini fleshier ( i used to use one ) Liqua-tan ,McKenzie tan with a pickle ; did not give me the stretch as KT does . Not sure why people have this problem . I like shaving a neutralized cape and don`t have to salt and hang capes . the whitetail formula is a good preservative. would like to try pro-1 next ; there hide past is all i use . :)

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I believe that pretty much all tans shrink up the capes to a certain amount...it may just be how you deal and treat them after the tan that get the stretch back in the cape...
    I don't use Liquid Tide for My final wash.... Dawn actually relaxes the cape more.
    Also if you go by the directions exactly and You work a very thick cape then you may need another short soak in the Baking soda...
    I always shave mine before I neutralize...... but it is easier to shave after the neutralize and it doesn't rust your shaving wheel as bad...
    I can stretch the back very easy just by crossing My arms inside the cape....I learned that simple trick many years ago by Rick Carter and you will be amazed at the difference that simple move will make!

10. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

If your not getting your full pre tan measurements back I have a feeling your not shaving the hide thin enough .. Go by these pictures notice I have the hide folded or doubled 16 mm thick before & 8mm thick after shaving ...this is a mature 25 inch neck wt buck cape and has been in a safety acid type pickle for 3days... If your any thicker than the top picture after shaving your going to have trouble getting your original raw hide measurements back no matter what kind of tan your using ..I am measuring the thickness just below the ears the thickest part of the cape... I have shaved so many hides I go by feel ( not calipers ) for the right thickness.. Hope this helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]