1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rug identification

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by snackbandit, Oct 1, 2014.

1. snackbandit

snackbandit New Member

Hi there! Occasional lurker but first time poster here on the forums, so hello to all.

I had a question about trying to identify an old rug that I recently inherited. I was told it was a bear rug, but with some quick research, I've ruled that out since this seems to be too large of a piece.

The rug measures at 5'8'' x 4'10''

It seems to be quite old and has a wool backing that has been signed on the back. I wanted to use it at my home, but am a bit worried about having to clean the rug professionally. Attached are photos below and thanks to anyone that can shed some light on it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

My guess is s large steer hide. Definitely not a bear.

3. JessF

JessF New Member

I recently saw a vintage horse hide rug/blanket at a flea market that looked extremely similar to what you have, perhaps that's what it is?

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

cattle or horse

5. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Most likely a horse hair lap robe ;) made by the Ede Tanning Co by an employee named Math Schmitz

http://edestanningcompany.blogspot.com/p/edes-lap-robes.html

http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/index.php?title=EDE'S_ROBE_TANNING_COMPANY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Horse-Hide-Hair-Blanket-backed-with-Wool-72-x-69-Ede-Made-/111457067468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f35be1cc

Antique turn of century horse hair carriage blanket with wool backing. Horsehair blankets were warm cover for the carriage age and later used in the early autos that lacked heating. This blanket was tanned in the horse shape with mane on one end and flanks area with tanned areas showing through (this is normal wear on a horse).

The blanket has portion of original tag and is signed with the crafter's name at EdeMade Co "Osmund Paulson". From the research on the EdeMade Co, many of these blankets were made from horses well loved and on the horse's demise, were tanned and made into an item for its owner.

The blanket measures 69" long with center width of 63" and wider end width of 72". The piece is heavy weighing about 12 pounds unpacked.

The horse hair hide is in very good vintage condition as well as the wool fabric side with dark red and green leaf design. Blanket was stored well - no musty or bad odors. The felt trim has seen wear and is ragged in places - can be trimmed down if desired with no effect on blanket. One small repair to wool side has been made.
    Here's an old thread back in 2004 asking the same question:

Help I Really Want To Know What This Is
    Submitted by Jane Calais on 04/24/2004 at 10:02. ( [email protected] ) 65.54.98.141
    I was given a blanket (this is what we think it is) It could fit a double size bed, and it does take two people to hold it up. On one side it is a plaid flannel backing, on the other side is an animal hide that we think is caribou. There is a tag that has the EDE Robe Tanning Company. We have looked every where and can not find it. If anybody could give me some more info I would surly apprieciate it.
    Thankyou for your time
    Jane

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

EDE robe tanning
    This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 04/24/2004 at 10:28. ( ) 216.130.152.51
    ... EDE & RAVENSCROFT SHOPS MENS OUTFITTERS, ROBE MKRS & TLRS GRACECHURCH STREET LONDON EC3V
    This robe was probably made in London. You can do a Google search and find out more,maybe.

Thanks
    This response submitted by Jane on 04/25/2004 at 01:41. ( ) 65.54.97.201
    Thanks for the info. We sent them an e-mail a week ago and have not heard anything back yet. We will keep trying.

Better late than never ;D ;D ;D